Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 will now automatically download and install on PCs

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:14 AM

Microsoft said it would push Windows 10 upgrades onto people's PCs much harder this year – and Redmond has been true to its word.

From Monday, Windows Update will start making the upgrade to version 10 of the operating system a recommended update, rather than an optional one, a spokesperson for the software giant confirmed.

So if you've got Windows Update set up to automatically fetch and install recommended items – and the vast majority of people do because it's the default setting – expect to, well, download and install a few gigabytes of Windows 10.

Also be aware that if you have switched to manual updates you still may end up downloading the new OS anyway: Windows Update automatically selects the optional download as desired, so there's no need to click on the box to get it.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/02/02/microsoft_ups_pressure_win_10_holdouts/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:17 AM

This wont end well

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,061 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:54 PM

So when this junk is offered and I (as a user with updates set to check automatically but not download without my consent)untick it but install somethng else it'll come along as well?

Edited by rp88, 04 February 2016 - 02:54 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:42 PM

rp88, I don't know how many of the hoops you have jumped through to keep from being upgraded (but I expect you've done all of them), yet I'm of the opinion that unless you have your connection marked as metered, the installer is going to download, along with your regular updates, if it hasn't, already. I wonder if you can manually download the updates you want while still keeping your connection metered. I would think so, but I've been wrong, before.

I have to say that this is the craziest thing I've heard of. Technically savvy people are at a loss to figure out how to keep the OS they bought. I intentionally upgraded. I like Win 10. I was able to fix, or live with, the glitches. But, had I wanted to stay with Win 7, I'd be banging my head on my keyboard and cursing Microsoft even more than I did when i had WinME.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:25 PM

WinME?? Yikes. I never had the pleasure of using that OS. I started out on DOS then went to 95, 98SE, and skipped ME.

#6 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 09:19 PM

From OP ..

Windows Update will start making the upgrade to version 10 of the operating system a recommended update, rather than an optional one, a spokesperson for the software giant confirmed.

Which is even more reason, as I said in the other thread, to check each and every update from here on, no matter what it is.

They are getting sneakier and sneakier.

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:20 PM

Heres my opinion.

Dear Microsoft.

I do not want Windows 10 or any of the features and improvements it has,  I paid for a full copy of Windows 7 not OEM, with the understanding that I could use it till 2020, All I want is what I paid for, Stop trying to upgrade me.

Regards

Nick.

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,061 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:47 PM

Post #4, I've jumped through a hell of a lot of hoops, but I think it might have worked.

As yet I haven't seen this evil thing, perhaps because I rejected KB3035583 and have since then installed no update which wasn't a security patch. I've avoided all those creepy sounding updates to wuauclt, with luck this might make upgrade impossible. My system checks for updates every day or so and I've done a few manual checks, this evil hasn't been listed yet in the list of updates being spotted. I'm also monitoring the size of the free space on my disks, if I see a sudden change of many GB I'll know something is going on.

I think a key test that needs doing is for a user who has, without their realising, had all this loaded onto their computer, and seeing if: deletion of the "bt folder", removal of all "recent" (since february 2015) non-security updates, deletion of any remaining gwx files, removal of any gwx related scheduled tasks and removal or value changing of any gwx registry keys is enough to get such a user's computer immune to this unwelcome offering and downloading.

Furthermore this whole matter begs an important question, since so many people have upgraded why is ms so desperate to get the remaining ones to upgrade?

Edited by rp88, 06 February 2016 - 01:54 PM.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:57 PM

I've avoided all those creepy sounding updates to wuauclt, with luck this might make upgrade impossible.

I did the same. If I see any update to Windows Update, when I still receive updates, I wave it goodbye.

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,061 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:29 PM

Post#9,
SINCE you removed all those updates have you seen, at all, any mentions of windows 10 itself in your list of offered updates? I'm not talking in this post about being offered, and having to reject, KB3035583 and it's friends each month, I'm talking about seeing "upgrade to windows 10" listed as an update.
Did you see "upgrade to windows 10" listed BEFORE you got rid of all the creepy sounding updates?

Or did you not "get rid of" those creepy sounding updates but rather, as I did myself, never allow them in the first place?

Edited by rp88, 10 February 2016 - 03:29 PM.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,024 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 05:05 PM

I post the following not to be in any snarky or to question anyone's choice to stay with Win7 or Win8, but I'd really like to try to flesh out why we're seeing the kind of differences we're seeing in "electronic aggression" from Microsoft.

I reserved a copy of Window 10 on a Win7 laptop and desktop, and a Win 8.1 laptop, none of which have ever been upgraded and all of which have GWX running on them, and have for months and months.  I do have updates set to download but let me choose when to install, but haven't blocked anything in recent months.

I really, and truly, am not having anything near to constant nagging.  I'll get a pop-up every once in a while, and that usually means less than once per week if memory serves, asking me if I'd like to upgrade.  I just dismiss it and it lays there, quite quietly, until it next asks again.

I am wondering if the "electronic aggression" is in any way specifically targeted at machines where their owner's did not reserve Windows 10.  So far that's the only working theory I can come up with to explain the gross discrepancy.  Perhaps Microsoft thinks that those of us who reserved a copy are "in the bag" for eventual upgrade, I really don't know.  It would be interesting if some pattern could be detected.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#12 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:26 PM

An interesting point Brian.

I too am not getting any pop-ups about Win 10 but then I have always had my updates set to 'Notify and manual select'. And in the last six months or so I have got a lot more careful about which updates I install. Somehow or other I did acquire a GWX folder but I renamed it because I couldn't delete all of it.

I admit I don't have much experience with Win10 but what little I have leaves me with the feeling that the GUI is a mess - 'Neither fish nor fowl nor good red meat' as the Bard put it - but the OS itself works well enough. In fact there are those around BC who say it is a very good OS. Sometime in the not too distant future I am probably going to do a serious upgrade on this computer - some of the components are getting dated - which will require a new OS which will be time enough to worry about Win 10. Classic Shell anybody ?

Chris Cosgrove

#13 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,061 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:22 PM

Post#11
It's not too easy to tell who specifically is getting it badly and who isn't. The fact that there is a lot of variation between what users are experiencing is clear, if a correlation of some kind could be drawn between those who are getting gwx badly and some other factor it would be very helpful. It might be that gwx has been targeting those who didn't reserve, it might be based geographically, it might be based on results that KB2976978 collected (because I believe that update's purpose was to test a system's suitability for upgrade), or based on something else altogether.

Edited by rp88, 10 February 2016 - 08:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users