Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfer OS between Virtual Harddrives

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 LIOTB

LIOTB

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:23 PM

Hello Everyone!

Thank you a head of time for your help!

THE WHAT:

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
System Manufacturer    TOSHIBA
System Model    Satellite L775D
System Type    x64-based PC
Processor    AMD A6-3420M APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics, 1500 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical
Hyper-V

THE STORY:

Using Hyper-V I installed WinXp into a virtual machine. The virtual hard drive is larger than I want. So, I tried to shrink the drive leaving a smaller drive, but then the large amount of unallocated space is still part of that vertual drive. I created another virtual machine with smaller allocated drives, but when I point this new machine to the old VHD, it still shows a huge drive.

THE QUESTION:

How do I transfer my winxp installation to the smaller virtual hard drive so that I don't have to spend a week installing everything again? The current VHD is 160GB I want to place that into a 20GB VHD as it will only ever take up 15GB. Is this possible without an involved new OS installation process?

Again thank you for your help a head of time!

Aaron

Edited by LIOTB, 04 February 2016 - 12:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 12:12 AM

I have never used hyperV but if its anything like vmware, just copy the .vhd or .vmdk to a USB and then paste/point to the vhd or vmdk mate.

It is fairly simple procedure in Vmware not sure about hyperV

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 12:21 AM

Method 2 on this page should do the trick.

https://techjourney.net/how-to-clone-vm-virtual-machine-in-hyper-v/

#4 LIOTB

LIOTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 12:53 PM

Hello!

Thank you @JohnnyJammer and @TsVk! for such a quick response!

I have never used hyperV but if its anything like vmware, just copy the .vhd or .vmdk to a USB and then paste/point to the vhd or vmdk mate.

It is fairly simple procedure in Vmware not sure about hyperV

@JohnnyJammer, I was wondering if it might not be as easy as just moving the contents from one folder to another.

Method 2 on this page should do the trick.

https://techjourney.net/how-to-clone-vm-virtual-machine-in-hyper-v/

@TsVk! Thank you for the link! I was wondering, as I look at it, with this option it does not offer the option to create a small hard drive in which to place the old OS. Am I missing something?

Thank you much!

#5 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:15 PM

It actually is that easy these days mate, i move them from one machine to another with different hardware and all.

Moving them to different data stores is easy enough as well or from physical to virtual, virtual to physical is a lot harder i believe.

I have converted many physical servers to then host them on my ESXi servers.

#6 LIOTB

LIOTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:26 PM

It actually is that easy these days mate, i move them from one machine to another with different hardware and all.

Moving them to different data stores is easy enough as well or from physical to virtual, virtual to physical is a lot harder i believe.

I have converted many physical servers to then host them on my ESXi servers.

So, if i transfer my 160GB VHD (only 15GB used) in the way you say then it will fit and work in a 20GB VHD?

#7 LIOTB

LIOTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 10:44 PM

Hello everyone!

Sorry to keep this going, but it didn't work. When I do the above it just creates a duplicate. I want to take my current institutional of windows in my V-matchine that takes up 15GB in a 160GB VHD and put in in a VHD of only 20GB. I don't want to "clone" exactly, I want to put what I have into a different VHD with small capcity.

How do I do that or is it possible, or am I going to have to install windows again in my V-Machine?

Thank you much!

#8 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:33 PM

If i understand this right, you are have created a 160 GIG VHD file and thats what it shows in Windows but it only uses 15 GIG, this wont work because you would still need the 160 GIG because thats what has been created.

Even though Windows only uses 15, HyperV etc will still require that 160 free space, you would need to shrink the VHD down in hyperV i would guess mate and that depends on what provisioning you have used.

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 08 February 2016 - 05:53 AM

Hi,

I'm not familiar with HyperV but if you threat that like a physical machine when you are replacing the HDD it should work.

Use some Imaging Backup software to create a full disk image, store it on the network or something, replace the VHD with the new one then restore the image from the backup. This type of software can restore to smaller HDD if the actual data fits.

Edit: It seems HyperV can compress the VHD http://sqlsolace.blogspot.pt/2008/05/compressing-hyper-v-disk-images-vhd.html

Edited by SleepyDude, 08 February 2016 - 05:58 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#10 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:20 PM

It should be able to be compressed yeh, best thing i love about vmware is CBT (Change block tracking) so when replicating it only replicates the blocks that have been changed on the virtual disk.

just be aware that shrinking the volume can corrupt data as the presentation layer in windows still thinks the drive is physical.

#11 LIOTB

LIOTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 05:19 PM

It should be able to be compressed yeh, best thing i love about vmware is CBT (Change block tracking) so when replicating it only replicates the blocks that have been changed on the virtual disk.

just be aware that shrinking the volume can corrupt data as the presentation layer in windows still thinks the drive is physical.

Thank you @JohnnyJammer! I tried it and it didn't work.

Hi,

I'm not familiar with HyperV but if you threat that like a physical machine when you are replacing the HDD it should work.

Use some Imaging Backup software to create a full disk image, store it on the network or something, replace the VHD with the new one then restore the image from the backup. This type of software can restore to smaller HDD if the actual data fits.

Edit: It seems HyperV can compress the VHD http://sqlsolace.blogspot.pt/2008/05/compressing-hyper-v-disk-images-vhd.html

Thank you for the suggestion @SleepyDude! I will give it a shot!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users