Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer randomly restarts.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ocktree

ocktree

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:34 PM

I'm not the most techy person so please bear with me! If you need any additional information feel free to ask i can add screen shots to run any tests that you would like me to do. So first off I will explain my problem.

The problem is that my computer randomly restarts multiple times throughout the day. When this happens the computer screen turns black, the computer turns off, and after about one second it turns back on. This has been happening throughout the past two years and is completely random (sometimes it'll be in sleep mode even and restart while im not doing anything on it). I suspect that the problem might be the sound card that I put in but I don't know for sure and I don't know how to fix it. 

I bought my computer from iBuyPower and its specs are as follows:

Its a 64-bit OS running on windows 10 (I recently upgraded to windows 10 to see if it would resolve the problem)

Processor: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz      3.90GHz (I don't think im currently overclocking it)

Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series

After market Sound Card: Sound Blaster Z

8GB ram

I have tried everything from virus scans to hardware scans to checking the temperature of my computer and I cant find any solutions! I'm up for anything so just let me know what to do.

EDIT: Also there are rare cases where the screen freezes and it emits a high pitched squeal through my headphones that almost deafens me. I then have to restart the computer manually instead of it restarting itself.

Edited by ocktree, 03 February 2016 - 08:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:31 PM

lLet's try looking at these reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 ocktree

ocktree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:46 PM

Thank you so much for your interest in my problem!

I have actually been monitoring my temperature over the last few months and I see no problem but I shall continue to take a closer look and post the results.

Attached Files

Edited by ocktree, 04 February 2016 - 06:47 PM.

#4 ocktree

ocktree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:37 PM

This is the results of the hardware monitor

Attached Files

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:31 AM

Temps look fine (from the HWMonitor report)

Most shutdowns are preceded 2 of these errors (from the Admin logfile):

The network adapter with hardware address 48-02-2A-F8-E4-F8 has indicated packet coalescing capability without indicating support for one or more prerequisite receive filter capabilities (IPv4 0x00000000).

A problem with the network adapter or it's drivers is a possibility.
Please:

- download a fresh copy of the latest, W10 compatible drivers for your networking devices (wired and wireless if so equipped)

- uninstall the current drivers/software for these devices from Control Panel...Programs and Features

- verify that the device has been removed from the Network Adapters section of Device Manager.  If it hasn't, please right click on the device and select "Uninstall".  If offered a choice to remove the software/driver, please check the box also.

- reboot and then then install the freshly downloaded driver.

- monitor for further shutdowns

If the system continues to shutdown, then the next step will be to physically test the device.
This is accomplished by either removing it from the system, or by disabling it in the BIOS/UEFI.

From the BSOD Inspector report:

Your UEFI/BIOS (version F4) dates from 2013.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

Only 3 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 10586 (TH2/1511) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.

Just a warning - not an actual problem.  You're running out of room on your C: drive (about 17% free space left):

Windows likes 15% free space in order to perform stuff "behind the scenes" without adversely affecting the system's performance.  Please free up 15% on ALL hard drives (you can get away with 10% on larger drives and won't notice a large performance penalty)

The WER section of the MSINFO32 report shows some video problems - STOP 0x117 and STOP 0x141 (both from 30 January)

Please follow these troubleshooting suggestions:  http://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod-kernel-dump-analysis-debugging-information/35-video-tdr-timeout-0x116-0x117.html#post29532
Also, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 ocktree

ocktree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:29 PM

I think you guys are under the impression that I have a blue screen of death. I actually don't. My computer doesn't have a blue screen when it dies I dont think it has anything to do with windows to be honest I think the computer physically turns itself off and back on. But anyways,

SmrutiRanjan: I might actually take you up on that offer to contact the support them they sound very helpful! But to answer your question yes the problem still persists in Safe Mode.

Usasma: I think the Network adapter might be the problem, I bought a cheap after market wireless adapter from China. I think before I try the new drivers Ill physically remove it since I have no use for it anymore, thank you so much for your help!! I'm going to try both and post the results later.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 06:07 AM

Good luck!

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:52 AM

SmrutiRanjan: I might actually take you up on that offer to contact the support them they sound very helpful! But to answer your question yes the problem still persists in Safe Mode.

You can see the post you responded to has been deleted from this topic. It was spam, advertising for a remote support company in India.

#9 ocktree

ocktree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 03:01 PM

Thank you Evie I didn't get the chance to call them yet but thank you for taking it down! It turns out that the problem was indeed the Wifi adapter so I just removed it, thank you so much everyone for your help I really appreciate it!

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:41 AM

Thanks for letting us know (and to the staff for removing the spammer)!

This'll help others who come looking for help with similar problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users