Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing old programs into windows 7

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 drron

drron

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:25 PM

I have an old program with of couple of favorite games.  On attempting to install this program, I get an error message that says "Operation failed- Incorrect number of bytes written to disk" .  This program installed ok in windows XP.  I attempted to use the program compatibility program in win 7, but no luck.  Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:16 AM

Hi,

So first off, is your new system a x64 vs 32 for XP?  That could matter a lot.  So you're in luck.  Windows 7 have a built in virtual XP environment for just that, and other NTSF and other byte related errors.

Here is a guide from MS tech-net.  Here

or

Try to search for the program in the windows 7 tech-net list

found here

Overall I would try to install and use this in the XP Virtual Environment (yes the environment is in 32 bit even if your Windows 7 is 64bit)

If that does not work, then the error could be the disk or drive or copy you have.  Firewall rules and about 30 other reasons listed by MS

good luck

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#3 drron

drron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:48 AM

My system is a 32 bit win 7.  I did try the compatibility mode in win 7, but I received the same error messages.  Other than installing full xp mode in win 7, I am not sure what else to do>

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 11:15 AM

What is the program you are trying to run?

Is it a 32-bit program?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 drron

drron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 11:20 AM

The program came from verbatim and is called entertainment pack sampler.  It dates back at least 10 years.  It did install and run under windows xp just fine.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 11:27 AM

There is a great deal of difference between XP and Windows Vista, much less Windows 7.

Please do the following.

Please download MiniToolBox to your desktop.

Right-click on MiniToolBox.exe and select Run as Administrator.

You will see an image like the one below.

minitoolbox_zps7byuwkla.png

Click on the following checkbox only:

• List Installed Programs

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, then copy it and paste it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 11:34 AM

I think your Verbatim Entertainment Pack is a rebrand of the Windows Entertainment Pack. These games are 16bit. I thought Windows 7 32bit could play 16bit games but maybe I am wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Entertainment_Pack

#8 drron

drron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 11:56 AM

OK

Edited by drron, 04 February 2016 - 04:50 PM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 12:31 PM

The following is an excerpt from a article at PCWorld.

Originally, Windows was a 16-bit environment, and ran only 16-bit software. With Windows 95, the operating system went 32-bit, and could run both 16- and 32-bit programs. Windows Vista, 7, and 8 all come (or came) in 32- and 64-bit versions (the version you get depends on your PC's processor). The 64-bit versions can run 32- and 64-bit programs, but not 16-bit ones.

Edited by dc3, 04 February 2016 - 12:32 PM.

#10 drron

drron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:35 PM

Does windows xp run 16  bit programs? My games ran fine with windows xp.  I am beginning to believe windows 7 does not run 16 bit programs. ?

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:04 PM

Does windows xp run 16  bit programs? My games ran fine with windows xp.  I am beginning to believe windows 7 does not run 16 bit programs. ?

Wifey and I installed Windows XP Mode within our Windows 7 Pro 'cause several 16-bit and 32-bit games will only run within XP. Since XP mode was mentioned earlier, thought I would 2nd the motion to install and use XP mode.

Edited by RolandJS, 04 February 2016 - 02:04 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#12 drron

drron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:16 PM

I guess that is the way to go.  I'll give it a try.  Thanks all!

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:25 PM

I guess that is the way to go.  I'll give it a try.  Thanks all!

Lemmie suggest a Texas A&M backup idea   :)   Once you get all your ducks in a row within Windows XP Mode,  make a shortcut to:

users --> [acct name] --> AppData --> Local --> Microsoft --> Windows Virtual PC --> Virtual Machines

Then, on your data partition, make a "backup" [target] directory simply called WinXPMode; make a shortcut to this also.  When WinXPMode is not in use, using explorer.exe, copy all the files from source directory into your target directory. That way, if you weekly copy successful sessions, if WinXPmode ever crashes big time, simply copy from target to source.  Trust me, I've had to recreate my WinXPmode from time to time that way.

Edited by RolandJS, 04 February 2016 - 02:27 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users