Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

about battery gauge reset

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 seraphin

seraphin

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:33 PM

Not sure if this question is proper for this group. If not, please help direct me to the right group.

Lenovo thinkpad provides a power manager software that allows for battery gauge reset. It's a hunch but it seems that there is a counting mechanism every time I "perform reset". In early days when I performed the reset, the battery life really seemed to be extended (e.g. from 1.5 hr to 2.5 hr when fully charged). Recently I made a mistake (?) by performing "several" resets in a row (when the battery condition was still deemed "good"). Suddenly after these resets, the battery condition changed from "good" to "fair" and the battery hours dropped significantly.

Questions :

1. Is the battery gauge reset thing/button a software thing or a hardware thing ?

2. If it's a software thing, can we "erase" the counting (if any) and start fresh ?

3. Does reinstalling the power manager help (as Lenovo does provide a place to download the power manager) ?

Computer model:

Thinkpad Edge E420, Windows 7 Professionals

Any info will be appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hammy745

hammy745

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:14 PM

Answers:

1. It would be pure software, it is basically talking processes in the background that are not needed and shutting them down

2. Reinstalling it would most likely do the trick

3. Yes, here is the download link http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds014924 make sure you download the top one that is 21 mb

Although the program is having a software problem of some sort this could have done something to the battery itself but that is unlikely

and just one question how long have you had it?

keep me updated with what is going on until it is working

#3 seraphin

seraphin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:58 PM

Hi, Hammy

First off, uninstall and reinstall new power manager helps a bit. I also uninstalled and reinstalled a "new" power managing driver provided by Lenovo.

When the mistake was made by performing multiple resets in a row, the "displayed" battery life went down to 30-40 min (in reality also similar).

After reinstalling new power manager, the displayed battery life now shows ~ 1:10-1:30h. It should be noted that with both old and new power managers, the conclusion that my battery can only store ~30-40% of the original full charge does not seem to change, which probably makes sense.

And based on my download record, I have had this laptop with the same battery since 07-2011. So it's been running for close to 5 years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users