Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

weird sound every few seconds

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SGTBaconese

SGTBaconese

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:45 PM

hello all, i hope someone is able to help me with my computer, thanks in advance.

So i am receiving a weird buzz every few seconds from my sound. It started about a month ago it was happening sometimes and then more frequently about two weeks ago. I have had it into the computer store where i bought it and could not replicate the sound there. So i brought it into work and hooked it up a few times and same thing it does not do the sound their either. I have tried three different headsets, and my Logitech speakers all do the same thing.I have replaced the sound drivers many times, as well has having a Microsoft windows technician have remote access to my computer which resulted in a temporary fix. It was fixed for about an hour and then came back, with no changes at all. I went back to a fresh install of windows 10 and still did not work. The odd thing is that if i move the computer into work it will not make the noise, or the two times i had it back to my computer store where i bought it. The technician there said it might be a power problem and i should get a UPS machine but before doing that I hooked it up in my kitchen and tried the sound and it worked fine. Out of curiousity i ran an extension cord to the neighbors house and tried it with my computer where it normally sits and the buzz was their. Last night i took the tower off of my desk and put it on the floor and the noise went away, about 5 minutes later i put the tower back where it was just making the noise 10 minutes prior and the noise did not come back. I have no idea if its a hardware issue with my sound but why would it do it all the time in one location of my house but no where else i take it? It has me and all my friends confused to say the least. I have replaced the surge protector and moved everything off of my desk and away from the computer to try and and see if that made a difference but it did not. When listening to music it will have the buzz, but sometimes watching movies it will also have spots where there is no sound at all, just for a half a second. I have attached a small clip of the sound. Any help would be appriciated. i do not have all of the specs of my machine because i am at work at the moment but i can get them later. What i do know is its a ASUS Z97-a motherboard running windows 10 64bit.

Any help, is appriciated, thanks

https://soundcloud.com/kevin-fitzpatrick-15/sound-buzz

Edited by SGTBaconese, 03 February 2016 - 03:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:26 PM

Who am I to criticise anybody's taste in music ?  I have been known to listen to Stockhausen !  But welcome to BC anyway !

I heard a couple of buzzes about the 3-4 second mark and another couple of what sounded like switching 'crashes' about the 25 mark. The odd thing here is that the intrusion is so localised in its effect. The switching 'crashes' are almost certainly caused by equipments in your house switching on and off - lights, fridges and so on. Every time a switch throws you get a brief arc which generates wide spectrum noise, but the buzz is more interesting.

Moving the computer from the desk top to the floor is what - two and a half feet ?  This suggests that the source is on your desktop. Do you have any other electronic equipment running on top or above your desk ?  If you do, and unless any of it is mission critical, switch it all off and see if the noise occurs, then switch things back on one at a time until it does occur. If it happens after you switch one of them on you have found the culprit. If this turns out to be the case then the cure might be as simple as making sure that the offending item is plugged into a different wall socket from your computer's supply.

It is not surprising that you got interference when running the cable from your neighbour's house - the longer the cable the greater the chance of picking up interference. Since the most likely source of this annoyance is coming via your electricity supply to the computer you could install a mains filter. Google 'mains filter' as a starting point and look at reviews and specs. Prices are very varied, ranging from £'s UK to £'00s UK !

It is also possible that the interference is being generated inside your computer, it is after all a large collection of signals at a huge range of frequencies. Have a look at the tidiness of the wiring, especially anything running near your sound card or sound chips.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 03 February 2016 - 07:28 PM.

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:56 PM

What type of lighting do you have and how close is it to your computer when it is on the desk?

Flouresent lights with a failing ballast sometimes causes static.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#4 SGTBaconese

SGTBaconese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:35 PM

Hello guys, thank you for the reply, i will try to answer all questions. i listened to the file again and i can hear the sound almost every second for the first 10 seconds or so. im not sure how to describe it but a buzz of some sort. So on my desktop right now there is basically nothing, but two monitors, 2 front speakers and 1 center speaker for the 5.1 sound. There was a bunch of papers in a wooden divider but i moved that. Only other thing is a glass cup with some misc stuff in it like pens, lighters, car alarm switch, etc..  The desk is made of wood and have had it for the whole year i have had this computer but only started the noise just over a month ago. But has been getting worse lately. I have tried a 4 different wall sockets in my home, using an extension cord to reach them leaving the computer in the same spot. And did not make a difference, but if i move the computer to those areas and plug it in then it works fine, i do not hear the noise. As for running the extension cord to the neighbors house, well it was a test to see if the noise was still their while leaving the computer on the desk and it was, but after moving the computer to my kitchen and hooking it up and found no noise, then i was sure that it had to be something close to desk causing this and not the power. I kinda thought there might be extra interference from the electrical causing it hence why i tried the extension cord but ruled that out once i moved it. Also having it out of the house 5 times to test resulted in no buzz either. So i did have it to the technician at the computer store where i bought it and he looked inside and didn't see a problem with the wiring affecting the sound either, so i think the wiring is ok. The lighting in this room has one fan with 3 lights that hang about 5 feet from the desk but on the ceiling. And another tall lamp that is about 6 feet from the desk which i normally use for light which shines its light at the ceiling. I do not mean to sound like a jerk or anything just trying to explain what i have done so you would be able to help me.

So i realized when i was at work today that their are 4 satallite dishes on the side of the house near my computer, a bunch of those wires lead inside the house and one is right behind my computer chair. As far as i know, these do not have power, could these possibly cause an issue? I have been in this house for about 6 months with the computer in the same spot, i don't know why after 5 months it would start causing a problem and not right away.

thanks again for the help guys, cheers

#5 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:32 AM

Is your cellphone near your system?  Cellphones will cause all sorts of noises through a sound system if they are close by.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:51 PM

Having read your last detailed post I am inclined to suspect this fan/light assembly.

You say it is about five feet above the desk and when you put the computer on the floor the interference stops. That's seven and a half feet against five. Signal/noise/radiation is subject to the inverse square law so an increase of 50% in the distance reduces the strength of the interference by a factor of 2.25 which is a fairly significant reduction.

Well worth a look and see what happens with this fan/light turned completely off.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users