Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting duplicate / cloned files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:39 PM

have several utilities for scanning for and deleting duplicate files. For some reason after they have identified lots of duplicates I have not got any of them to delete files, they go through the motions but nothing get deleted. I will be asking the developers to help with that but does it seem likely to be a glitch in my system? 

What I mainly want to ask is whether it is good idea to delete them or not? I am always trying to find ways of releasing storage space. But one of the programs in particular warns that some files may be duplicated for an essential purpose, which seems logical. How can I identify which ones are surplus? There are some which I presume would be harmless to remove, such as lots of .png and .jpg files, but others may be essential to the system.

Edited by hamluis, 26 February 2016 - 05:33 PM.
Moved from Win 10 Support to All Other Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:49 AM

Check this 

#3 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:46 PM

Thanks for the link --- some useful ideas. Deleting data files is mentioned. I wondered about duplicate image files. I have scores of .png and .jpg. and thought deleting many of them would be OK. What do you think? One of my utilities distinguishes between 'original' files and 'copies' so you can just delete copies. Another lets you keep the first or the last fie in each list. The idea in the discussion you linked to of moving the copies to external media so they can be restored if necessary seems worth considering, or what about using File History, something I have not given much attention to so far but is it not made for this purpose?  

#4 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:41 PM

it is completely fine to  .png and .jpg. remove, just watch out for different type of files :) 

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:32 PM

My question...why do you have several utilities for deleting dupes...if you are not even sure that deleting such will be beneficial?

I fail to see how such can be beneficial for more than just user housekeeping where he/she has created multiple copies of the same item.

No software is ever necessary to delete files...unless your DELETE button is broken...if the intent is to identify dupes, then you need to bear in mind that data files are the only ones which may be safely removed with no fear of gumming up the system.  Deleting dupes of program or Windows files...may prove to a self-inflicted wound by any user.

Louis

#6 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 04:15 AM

I have had a brief look at DFD and will examine it again later.

I dont have stand alone duplicate deleaters, what I have is several multiple purpose utilities (like CCleaner), some of which have a duplicate deleater as on option so I have been considering whether or not to use them --- but am aware there are risks.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users