Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Herbert667

Herbert667

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:00 PM

As I told you before I am a newbie,therefore my questions can seem weird/stupid

You helped me a couple of days ago with installing the BIOS and now I have two more questions:

My motherboard is GA-Z77X-UD5H,the manual is virtually impossible to read as it is a reversed print.

But here are the questions:

1) I always want to boot from the DVD drive and I wonder do I have to choose the P5 ( STI..) or the P1 ( HL...) ?

2) When I select a boot option I have to click F10 ( to save )  And here is the crucial question:

Will the computer remember those settings  for the next sessions or do I have to go through the same

procedure again ?

3) How can I determine if the computer boots from the DVD ?

Thanks again

Herbert667

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 alatta01

alatta01

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:08 PM

Herbert - those settings are in the BIOS, typically under Boot Devices and Boot Order. Set your optical drive to the 1st device and save it. Those settings are then stored in non-volatile RAM and will remain in CMOS for a very long time...  

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:10 PM

You have set BIOS to boot:

-- cd-dvd

-- internal HD

if so, you should be good to go!

[I see alatta and I posted at same time   :)   ]

Edited by RolandJS, 03 February 2016 - 03:11 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:46 AM

If you set the boot order in the BIOS so that the optical drive is the first device in the order the computer will try to boot from that device first.  If there is a bootable disc in the optical drive the computer will try to boot from this disc.  Unless the bootable disc is a Window installation disc or another operating system like a Linux distro (operating system) the computer will recognize the lack of a operating system and move on to the second device in the boot order.

As for the BIOS remembering the boot order, unless the CMOS battery is beginning to fail the BIOS should boot consistently from the boot order you have set.  If the CMOS battery is beginning to fail the boot order could revert to the default settings.  The default order usually places the HDD/SDD with Windows installed on it as the first device in the boot order.

You can find a legible manual download for your motherboard here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users