Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Format C drive and reinstall Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Herbert667

Herbert667

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 02:20 PM

Mod Edit:  Merged topics - Hamluis.

It looks like a have a weird computer problem since I cannot format my hard drive and reinstall Windows 7 Pro

I was reading to :

- Insert Windows 7 installation disk

- Turn off computer

-  Power on computer and then click " install now " After that  I should have the possibility to format.

Result: After powering computer on,it says Setup is copying temp files and then

an error message: unable to create a required installation folder, error code = 0X80070005

Can you confirm that the above steps are correct and what is the reason of this error message ?

Or can you suggest another method to format/reinstall Windows 7 ?

Herbert667

Edited by hamluis, 05 February 2016 - 03:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 02:40 PM

Do other CDs and DVDs work ok in this particular drive?  Are there any smudges, fingerprints, whatevers, on the install DVD?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 02:41 PM

Is this an OEM computer like HP or Dell. Does the computer currently boot? If it does, right click Computer and select Properties. At the bottom of the Window look for the Product ID. Is there an OEM in the sequence of numbers? If there is not you can download an iso of Windows 7 Pro here.

If the computer boots then I would also backup your Activation Files with Advanced Token Manager before doing the install.

If this is an OEM computer like HP or Dell it may still have a recovery partition. Tapping a key at boot would allow you to do a factory reset. What is the make and model of the computer?

If a custom build I would do the following.

Boot the install disk. When you get to this screen press Shift + F10. This will open an command prompt. Type the following

diskpart

list disk

select disk X   where X is the disk you want to install Windows to. Be careful  that you pick the right disk as the next command will                                                delete everything.

clean              this deletes all partitions on the disk including the recovery partition if you have it.

exit

exit

Continue with the install.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 February 2016 - 02:45 PM.

#4 alatta01

alatta01

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 02:49 PM

Do other CDs and DVDs work ok in this particular drive?  Are there any smudges, fingerprints, whatevers, on the install DVD?

Right on, Roland! You can also possibly use an external USB DVD player/burner to boot from. Additionally, if your computer has built-in diags, that are accessible at the Mfr. splash screen, it may isolate your problem.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 02:56 PM

If the optical drive is defective you can use Imgburn to create an iso from the install disk and use the iso with Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 February 2016 - 02:57 PM.

#6 Herbert667

Herbert667
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 05:26 PM

Is this an OEM computer like HP or Dell. Does the computer currently boot? If it does, right click Computer and select Properties. At the bottom of the Window look for the Product ID. Is there an OEM in the sequence of numbers? If there is not you can download an iso of Windows 7 Pro here.

If the computer boots then I would also backup your Activation Files with Advanced Token Manager before doing the install.

If this is an OEM computer like HP or Dell it may still have a recovery partition. Tapping a key at boot would allow you to do a factory reset. What is the make and model of the computer?

If a custom build I would do the following.

Boot the install disk. When you get to this screen press Shift + F10. This will open an command prompt. Type the following

diskpart

list disk

select disk X   where X is the disk you want to install Windows to. Be careful  that you pick the right disk as the next command will                                                delete everything.

clean              this deletes all partitions on the disk including the recovery partition if you have it.

exit

exit

Continue with the install

Hello,

the problem is that I cannot get what you indicated in "this screen" and the question is why.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 05:33 PM

Try installing using a USB flash drive. If you have a retail version of Windows 7 use your key to download a iso file from the link I provided and use that with Rufus otherwise use Imgburn to create an iso. Can you boot to Windows or is the drive blank? 

Is there data you need to recover from the drive if the computer does not boot?

#8 Herbert667

Herbert667
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:28 AM

Yes,other DVD's are no problems,only the Window7 installation disk

#9 Herbert667

Herbert667
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 01:25 PM

I finally got rid of the 0X80070005 error message and now I should be able to reinstall Windows 7 from my

Installation DVD.

However,new problems arise,see the attached screen shots.

Any idea what the problem is ?

Your input is appreciated

Herbert667

Attached Files

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 04:14 PM

Do not do the following if you need the data on the drive. Your image still shows 400GB of data on partititon 3. You are trying to do an install over partitions currently on the drive that contain data. 

If you want to do a clean install then delete the existing partitions first. In your first image click on Drive Options > Advanced. Delete All Partitions. Then press next. Windows will automatically partition and format the drive. Do you still get the error?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users