Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HPCEE.exe Application Error

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Shaldreth

Shaldreth

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 02:11 PM

Hello all! 

For a while now, whenever I first start up my computer, I get a popup that says "HPCEE.exe - Application Error. The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000135). Click OK to close the application." 

This message will pop up twice soon after startup, and then not show again until next time I boot the computer.

Any ideas? HPCEE.exe is the "HP Customer Experience Enhancement" which reports data to the HP servers, but I'm able to open and load the HP Support Assistant from my taskbar just fine. I don't use the thing, so I wouldn't mind disabling it entirely...... 

Edited by Shaldreth, 03 February 2016 - 03:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Slurppa

Slurppa

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:43 PM

Please try removing program using Uninstall program feature. Error itself might indicate some missing dependency like .Net Framework.
You can find detailed step by step instructions for uninstalling from here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/uninstall-a-program-in-windows/

Program name should appear as

Customer Experience Enhancement or
HP Customer Experience Enhancement

Please let me know if this removes the error.

Good luck

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#3 Shaldreth

Shaldreth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:28 PM

Hi, 

I don't see that program anywhere in my Programs and Features list, or I would already have uninstalled it! I have an HP Application Assistant, HP Calendar, HP Clock, HP Games, HP LinkUp, HP Magic Canvas, HP Notes, HP Odometer, HP Photo Creations, HP RSS, HP Setup, HP Setup Manager, HP Support, HP Support Assistant, HP Support Information, HP TouchSmart RecipeBox, HP Update, HP Vision Hardware Diagnostics, and HP Weather.

Nothing related to Customer Experience Enhancement or HPCEE.  

These were all installed when the computer was purchased four years ago, so if it IS one of these programs, I'm curious why it only decided to break now.

Edited by Shaldreth, 03 February 2016 - 07:30 PM.

#4 Slurppa

Slurppa

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:07 AM

Hi Shaldreth

Thanks for providing that list.

HPCEE might be part of HP Support Assistant. You can try removing it if you don't need it.

You can also try manually disabling the HPCEE by modifying

Ceement.ini file. File should be located in one of the following folders:

• C:\ProgramData\Hewlett-Packard\HP Ceement\
  • C:\ProgramData\Hewlett-Packard\SDP\Ceement\
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\SDP\
  • C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\SDP\

More info for this process can be found in HP Support forums:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/What-is-hpcee-exe/td-p/946485

As for why this problem started only after this time, I think there is possibility that there has been update in HPCEE.

HPCEE utilizes .Net Framework1 and there is possibility that they have changed to more newer version2, which your computer

might not have.

Please let me know if the problem persists.

Good luck

References:

1. http://www.shouldiblockit.com/hpcee.exe-2242.aspx

2. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11432940/what-does-error-code-0xc0000135-mean-when-starting-a-net-application

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#5 Shaldreth

Shaldreth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:07 PM

Hello,

It looks like disabling it through the .ini file worked! I haven't had another error message these past two startups. 

Thank you very much!

Edited by Shaldreth, 04 February 2016 - 10:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users