Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

safemode in Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Picolo

Picolo

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:21 PM

It was soooo easy to get into safe mode with previous operating systems!! Now its a real puzzle, I spent so many

hours trying different methods, some of them from  Microsoft, nothing worked in my 8.1.  Is this on purpose or what?

The reason is that I used safe mode so many time successfully and didn't have to bother you guys.

Can anyone help please

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:32 PM

Check out

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/5-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-8-windows-81 and/or

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/27510-safe-mode-add-desktop-context-menu-windows.html

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:31 AM

Because Windows 8 starts so fast the F8 key can not be used as it could in previous versions of Windows.  But you can set the computer to boot into Safe Mode when the computer is started.

How to boot into Safe Mode in Windows 8 or 8.1

Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key together.  In the menu that opens select Search.  When the Search charm opens type in msconfig.

msconfig will appear below the search box, click/tap on it.

When System Configuration opens click/tap on the Boot tab.

Under Boot options click/tap on Safe boot, then click/tap on Apply, then OK.

The next time you start the computer it will boot into Safe Mode.

Please note.  You computer will continue to boot into Safe Mode when it is started until you go back to System Configuration and remove the check in Safe boot.

Another option is to enable the F8 key so it can be used when Windows is loading.

How to enable the F8 key in Windows 8.

Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key together.  In the menu that opens select Command Prompt (Admin).

When the Command prompt opens copy and paste the command below, then press Enter.

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

You will receive the message The operation completed successfully.

You will need to restart the computer for this to take effect.

Now you will be able to use the F8 key to boot into the Safe Mode option when Windows starts loading. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Picolo

Picolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:30 PM

re: SAFE MODE

dc3

Sorry for delay (trip). your reply and instructions did it.I'm still wonderig why Microsoft does not publish it..guess the 8,1 would stay

a longler....thanks again.  I can mark it solved.picolo 

Edited by Picolo, 05 February 2016 - 08:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users