Jump to content


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.


Partial Internet Outage

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 the conartist

the conartist

  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 02:40 PM

I have a rather peculiar problem, which has me stumped. I have a computer running dual OSes (XP 64 and XP pro) on a network with two other computers. My XP pro OS works just fine, albeit a litle slow and glitchy, and has access ot the internet, as do the other computers on the network, However, on my X64 OS, I am unable to browse the internet. I have a live internet connection on the os which IS sending and recieving packets, AND I am able to use Xfire and Bearshare normally and can also browse my Local Area Network. Firefox, IE, and AIM however all return errors along with Antivirus and Anti Spyware updaters. As this type of problem would seem to point to virus and spyware activity, I ran several in depth scans of my computer using My copies of Spyware Doctor and Avast!. The Spoyware Doctor scan came up clean, however the Avast! scan found 2 viruses in the memory, which i disposed of. (Viruses were found in two New.Net dlls, which I was forced to delete in a safe mode scan... I hope they weren't important) Now all the scans I run on the computer come up clean, but almost all my programs are still denied internet access. Now the best guess I have as to what is happening is that a virus implanted values in my registry (I noted that my Standard Shield in Avast! had somehow been down...) blocking internet access to the most common or essential programs. If this is indeed possible, (i beleive I read about a virus that did it on MS website, but couldn't relocate the article) where in the registry would i find the values that are causing the problem? Or is it possible that that is not my problem at all? As a final note, I decided to try a system restore (after a few previous ones, all to the same date) and found that all of my system restore checkpoints were missing. If anybody has any insights into any of this, I would greatly appreciate them.

~The Conartist

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)


#2 Enthusiast


  • Members
  • 5,898 posts
  • Location:Florida, USA
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 06:20 PM

boot your XP 64 op sys into safe mode with networking and see if you have the capability to do a few of the following online scans:

Kaspersky Anti-Virus Web Scanner
File scanner and virus scanner

Panda Activescan

Trend Micro antivirus and malware scan:

Etrust Anti-virus web scanner

Avast Online scan

F Secure online scan

Ewido Online scan

Trojan scans
Sygate Trojanscan

Windows Security Trojanscan
See instructions for it here:

Parasite scan from Aumha:
or here:

#3 the conartist

the conartist
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 07:29 PM

holy crud thats a lotta scans. I've already run Avast! and Spyware Doctor, but i guess you're under the impression that the virus i have is still in my system, instead of just leaving residual effects... I guess ill try it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users