Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Load Thumbnails on External drive faster?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cornflakes2

cornflakes2

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:13 AM

So I have a few external drives connected to my main desktop via either usb or sata cables.

I do a lot of video editing and processing but I've found the biggest time waster for me is whenever I

browse through my video files on any of my external drives, they take such a long time load the thumbnails.

I can hear my computer working to load each video file's thumbnail and I'm just sitting there watching

them appear 1 by 1 with hundreds of files.  Isn't there a way for the computer to cache these thumbnails and remember

it each time I shutdown and load up the computer so in the future when I revisit a folder, all the video thumbnails 

should appear instantly?  I would estimate 50% of my time is used up simply during the 'waiting for thumbnails to load'

process.  It would save me enormous amount of time if the thumbnails could just appear instantly.

Any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:33 AM

The only thing I can recommend is to reduce the number of thumbnails per folder. If you computer has USB 3.0 then purchase a USB 3.0 drive. Thumbnails in Windows 7 are stored in a cache file by default. 

[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\thumbcache*.db

See this page. You can try the enable reg file but I am not sure it will help.

Edit: If you use CCleaner make sure Thumbnail Cache is unchecked in the left pane.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 February 2016 - 09:39 AM.

#3 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:56 AM

thanks I will give that a try and see if it helps.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:00 AM

No problem, please post an update if the problem was solved. Thanks.

#5 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:52 AM

Hi John, so after doing those steps you mentioned here's what I noticed today.  When opening a folder on my main drive [C:] the thumbnails appear to be loading faster now, but the external drives are back to loading the thumbs one by one slowly.   It seems that the thumbnail cache only remembers it from the current session.  So if I were to open a video folder on one of my external drives, the first time it'll take awhile to load each thumbnail one by one, but if I close that folder and then go right back to it, the video files thumbnail load instantly.  So it remembers it from the current session.  But if I shut down the computer or restart, and go back into that exact same folder, it will re-load the thumbnails slowly one by one like its the first time again.

It seems to me that external drives don't remember or store thumbnails in cache or the cache is wiped clean each time i restart.  Is there a way to make the external drive remember or save the thumbnails in cache?  I mean, do the external drives have their own policy editor?  The change I made were only done on the main drive [C:] where I edited the policies and enabled the thumbnail saving option.  It seems that it ONLY applies to the C drive.

Edited by cornflakes2, 04 February 2016 - 03:52 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:25 PM

I think that is the nature of Windows. See this page. But, according to the link in the page, Windows 7 is not supposed to be affected. 

Look at your device properties and make sure Performance is checked as shown here. You are required to eject the drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users