Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove "Start Installing The Latest Version Of Windows Now"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dennis_l

dennis_l

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:55 AM

I have removed the updates KB3035583 & KB 2952664 & also hidden them in Windows Update, which is set to notify

The Windows 10 installation file has been removed in Disk Clean up

I do not wish to install Windows 10 but would like to put on the other Important Updates listed.

Is there a way to get past the "Start Installing The Latest Version Of Windows Now" button in Windows Update, which prevents installation of the other updates?

Thanks

Dennis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:57 AM

Take a look at the following pages. You need to allow Hidden Files in Settings to delete the $Windows.~BT  file.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/prevent-windows-10-upgrade-installing-after-making-your-reservation

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/214070-how-to-delete-microsofts-unwanted-windows-10-download-files

Uninstall the Following Updates

KB2952664 Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7
KB2990214 Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 7 to a later version of Windows
KB3021917 Update to Windows 7 SP1 for performance improvements
KB3022345 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
KB3035583 Update installs get windows 10 app in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1
KB3068708 (replaces KB3022345) Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
KB3075249 Update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7
KB3080149 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry

Then install GWX Control Panel

In Update Settings uncheck "Give me recommended Updates the same way I receive important updates".

Change your setting from Install updates automatically to Check for updates but let me choose whether to download them and install them. Only install updates marked as Security Updates. Look at every important update and see what it is supposed to update. If it does not pertain to you, do not install it. For example, I had an important update regarding the Russian Ruble. I chose not to install it.

#3 dennis_l

dennis_l
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:11 AM

Many thanks

It may be a day or two before I get access again to this computer ,but will report back after I've tried the above.

#4 dennis_l

dennis_l
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 06:55 AM

I removed all the updates above & then did a new check for updates. All the non security updates, including the ones I uninstalled, are now hidden including one in the Optional section saying something like "Get Windows 10". I'm not sure if that was there before, but once it was hidden the Windows Update page returned to normal & all the security updates were installed.

Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users