Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suspicous java updates

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 joker4653

joker4653

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:47 AM

Hello whoever is reading this, I look forward to whoever is going to help me with my situation.

On Chrome I watch youtube alot. On youtube every so often (about every 20mins or so) a popup for a suspicous looking java update. It appears on every page that I go on, for example, i will be doing some research for something and in the top right corner of the screen it says that "this content requires java update". Even though this website had no videos on it. The bar was really annoying  So I clicked on it. When I clicked on the no or yes or the x button, it redirects me to a download page that says i have x amount of infections please download your anti virus. Anyone know how to get rid of this annoying java update bar?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,894 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:49 AM

User:

:welcome: to the Bleeping Computer Am I Infected? - What Do I Do? Forum. My name is Phil. If you would permit me, I would like to address you by your first name, since we will be working together to scan your computer.

I suspect that you have inadvertently downloaded an unwanted browser extension, but let's run a few scans and see what is found.

:step1: ESET Online Scanner using Internet Explorer:

Note 1: These instructions are for Internet Explorer only! If you're using Chrome or Firefox, you will need to download and install the ESET Smart Installer tool before it can scan. See instructions here.
Note 2: You will need to disable your currently installed Anti-Virus, how to do so can be found here.

*Click this link to open ESET OnlineScan.
* Place a checkmark next to "Yes, I accept the Terms of Use", then click the greenstart.png button.
* When prompted allow the Add-On/Active X to install.
* In the new window that opens, tic the radio button next to Enable detection of potentially unwanted applications.
* Then click "Advanced settings", and make sure there is a checkmark next to only the following items (uncheck everything else):

• Remove found threats
  • Scan archives
  • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
  • Enable Anti-Stealth technology

*Then click the shieldstart.png button and ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
*When the scan completes, click List Found Threats (only if anything is found).
*Then click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
*Click back.png, then click finish.png to exit ESET Online Scanner.

Don't forget to re-enable your antivirus when finished!

:step2: Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware:

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to your desktop.

• Double-click mbam-setup-2.2.*.****.exe and follow the prompts to install the program ( * = program version numbers may vary - always get the latest version).
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to the following:
    • Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
    • A 14 day trial of the Premium features is pre-selected. You may deselect this if you wish, and it will not diminish the scanning and removal capabilities of the program.
  • Click Finish.
  • On the Dashboard, click the 'Update Now >>' link
  • After the update completes, click the 'Scan Now >>' button.
  • Or, on the Dashboard, click the Scan Now >> button.
  • If an update is available, click the Update Now button.
  • A Threat Scan will begin.
  • When the scan is complete, if there have been detections, click Apply Actions to allow MBAM to clean what was detected.
  • In most cases, a restart will be required.
  • Wait for the prompt to restart the computer to appear, then click on Yes.
  • After the restart once you are back at your desktop, open MBAM once more.
  • Click on the History tab > Application Logs.
  • Double click on the scan log which shows the Date and time of the scan just performed.
  • Click 'Copy to Clipboard
  • Paste the contents of the clipboard into your next reply.

:step3: Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save the file to your Desktop.

• Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
    Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator
  • The tool will start to update the database, please wait for it to complete the update.
  • Click on I Agree button.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
  • After the scan has finished, click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R#].txt) will open in Notepad for review (where the largest value of # represents the most recent report).
  • The contents of the log file may be confusing. Unless you see a program name that you know should not be removed, don't worry about it. If you see an entry you want to keep, let me know about it.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of all logfiles are saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder which was created when running the tool.

I would like you to paste the logs from the three scans into your next reply. I will examine those and determine what our next step should be. If there is evidence of serious infection, you might have to open a new thread in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware and Malware Removal Logs Forum, but let's not get ahead of ourselves yet. Many less serious issues can be solved right here, in this Forum.

If I haven't responded to your reply in 24 hours, please send me a personal message.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

Graduate of the Bleeping Computer Malware Removal Study Hall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users