Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Printer Problem

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 rdnzl06

rdnzl06

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 01:31 PM

So... out of nowhere, everytime I turn on my Epson Stylus R800 Photo printer a balloon pops up with this message: USB device not recognized
one of the USB devices attached to
this computer has malfunctioned and
Windows does not recognize it.
for assistance in solving this
problem click this message
then it takes me to a device manager list of USB ports that lists the printer as an unknown device.
I tried uninstalling and than re-installing the printer and still get the same message. I tried changing it to a multiple of different USB ports on the computer- tried reinstalling new drivers all to no avail :thumbsup: Now I don't know what to do. Other USB devices seem to be working with no problems. Please help. Tommy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 02:01 PM

Disconnect the USB cable from the printer then completely uninstall all the printer software.

Reboot and reinstall the printer software and plug then the USB cable from the printer back in.

#3 rdnzl06

rdnzl06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 03:28 PM

For some reason I can't uninstall the software. When I try I get the pop-up Microsoft window saying the program has encountered a problem and needs to close. So now what???

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 05:15 PM

Try to delete it in safe mode.

You may have a printer control program running if it is in the startup menu, which it probably is - you can't delete a running program.

Use Startup Inspector to identify the program and stop it from starting when Windows starts.

Startup Inspector (manages startup menu helps you identify aps in the startup menu so you can disable unnecessary programs from running in the background when they are not needed)

And

Startup Monitor (a small freeware ap available on the same page to notify you and require your permission for any program to add itself to your startup menu)

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

#5 rdnzl06

rdnzl06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 06:29 PM

I installed startup inspector like you advised and ran it. I disabled the epson printer utility from starting, but when I restarted in safe mode and tried to remove the program it still will not let me remove it. A window popped up that said "No utility or device can be deleted"!!!!! Arghhhhhhhhh!!!

Edited by rdnzl06, 29 July 2006 - 06:30 PM.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 07:58 PM

To delete printer driver files in Windows XP
1.Click Start, settings and then click Printers and Faxes.
2.On the File menu, click Server Properties.
3.On the Drivers tab, click the printer driver that you want to delete, and then click Remove.

Edited by Enthusiast, 29 July 2006 - 08:06 PM.

#7 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 08:22 PM

Let's see if the computer is infected with anything.

I suggest you post a HijackThis log for examination.
A member of the HijackThis Team will walk you through, step by step, how to disinfect your computer.
Once you post your log, don't make any changes to your system, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

Read Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Please read, and follow, all directions carefully!!!

Then, run a log, and post it in the HijackThis forum, at this link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/ Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, as these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:

Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.

#8 rdnzl06

rdnzl06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2006 - 10:55 AM

Thanks Thorxp!! I hope it will help, I am at my wits end.

#9 rdnzl06

rdnzl06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2006 - 03:11 PM

And nobody wants to answer my post over there.

#10 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 30 July 2006 - 05:47 PM

Sorry, but those folks are a bit overworked. Don't reply to your own post because they look for posts with no replies. There's quite a backlog at the moment.

#11 rdnzl06

rdnzl06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2006 - 06:38 PM

I know that's why I posted back here. They seem to be overwhelmed at the moment, but I'm already on the bottom of the 2nd page- soon to be third, I just don't want to be forgotten :thumbsup:

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 30 July 2006 - 07:12 PM

I know that's why I posted back here. They seem to be overwhelmed at the moment, but I'm already on the bottom of the 2nd page- soon to be third, I just don't want to be forgotten :thumbsup:

You won't be forgotten. The HJT techs work from a queue of pending logs, that is not visible to the regular membership. That way they can see who is next in line, and not mixed in with the replies like you see.

Be (Who's Next!?) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#13 rdnzl06

rdnzl06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 05:37 PM

I realize you must be right about this but many many other people have posted much later than my post and I'm now on page 5 and dropping fast. I may have to try another route, as much as I don't want to. :thumbsup: :flowers:

Edited by rdnzl06, 31 July 2006 - 05:37 PM.

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:28 PM

Try messaging one of the Hijack This responders.

#15 rdnzl06

rdnzl06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:03 PM

Totally fogotten!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users