Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 BSOD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tronnosaur

Tronnosaur

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:47 PM

Im experiencing multiple instances where I'm getting BSOD the most recent was while running Microsoft security essentials virus scan. I also got one several days ago that led to a black screen on restart with only the mouse visible. Many programs are not functioning and I'm getting Bad Image error when I try to open many windows utility programs such as system restore. I am unable to connect to the internet on the machine as well. ive used a USB stick to get some of the information required. 

I also wanted to mention that when I opened the case of the laptop one of my RAM chips had become dislodged.

I suspect that my hard drive is done for but I'm no professional. Included is the Sysnative BSOD report. I was unable to get the performance monitor to produce a report. it gave me an error when I tried to run the command.

Until we can get the perfmon /report command to run without error I included the performance information and tools printout:

Component Details Subscore Base score 
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-3317U CPU @ 1.70GHz 6.9 4.7 
  Determined by lowest subscore 

Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB 7.4 
Graphics Intel® HD Graphics 4000 4.7 
Gaming graphics 1696 MB Total available graphics memory 6.2 
Primary hard disk 195GB Free (421GB Total) 5.9 
Windows 7 Home Premium 

System   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer LENOVO 
  Model IdeaPad U410  
  Total amount of system memory 6.00 GB RAM 
  System type 64-bit operating system 
  Number of processor cores 2 

Storage   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 446 GB 
  Disk partition (C:) 195 GB Free (421 GB Total) 
  Disk partition (D:) 22 GB Free (25 GB Total) 

Graphics   

Display adapter type Intel® HD Graphics 4000 
  Total available graphics memory 1696 MB 
        Dedicated graphics memory 64 MB 
        Dedicated system memory 0 MB 
        Shared system memory 1632 MB 
  Display adapter driver version 9.18.13.2762 
  Primary monitor resolution 1366x768 
  DirectX version DirectX 10 

Network   

Network Adapter Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller 

Please send help.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:04 AM

Hi. . .

Nice work with Driver Verifier.

Driver Verifier flagged irstrtdv.sys - https://www.sysnative.com/drivers/driver.php?id=irstrtdv.sys
irstrtdv.sys Wed Jun 15 14:52:49 2011 (4DF8FF81)
The driver needs to be updated. It's a 3rd party driver from June 2011.

An outdated Intel storage driver that's not playing nice (i.e., likely compatibility issues) with 2015/2016 updated Microsoft Windows OS drivers would go a long way to help explain the rather odd problems (no discernable pattern to them except potentially being related to the hard drive) you have been encountering lately.  An outdated storage driver's behavior can certainly help to explain your fears that the HDD is failing.

Windbg (BSOD memory dumps) in general cannot help identify a piece of failing hardware -- except in the case of a HDD. The dumps will contain exception codes (errors) pertaining to your hard drive -- like I/O errors. I see nothing like this in your dumps.

However, to help put your mind at ease, you can run SeaTools for DOS, LONG test on the HDD - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/4072-hard-drive-hdd-diagnostics.html

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

EDIT:

I also wanted to mention that when I opened the case of the laptop one of my RAM chips had become dislodged.

Can you re-seat the RAM?

Windbg Output
Spoiler

Edited by jcgriff2, 03 February 2016 - 01:23 AM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#3 Tronnosaur

Tronnosaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:17 AM

Thank you for such a quick response...in regards to the ram chip I did reseat it when I had the case open. I thought I remembered seeing it had 4gb written somewhere but my machine is showing 6 gb of ram so I may need to run memtest on them and see if they are both okay.

My laptop wont connect to the internet currently so my options are semi limited in the driver department. I can download specific drivers if I can figure out exactly which ones I need. My problem is because MMC isn't working I can't view my device manager to see whats going on.

I've tried using sfc and chkdsk to remedy the corrupted windows drivers but I haven't had success so far. It seems I have some corrupted files that sfc hasn't been able to fix.

#4 Tronnosaur

Tronnosaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 12:25 AM

Is there any hope of fixing these issues? I ran memtest on my ram which came back with 0 errors..

I'm thinking about attempting to fix windows with a reinstall. Any advice appreciated.

#5 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:21 PM

Have there been new BSODs?

If so, please get the new dumps from c:\windows\minidump -- zip them up & attach to your next post.

A reinstall is always a good idea when BSODs occur as it will help tell us whether the BSODs are related to software or hardware (as a fresh Windows install should never BSOD).

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Edited by jcgriff2, 08 February 2016 - 09:22 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#6 Tronnosaur

Tronnosaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:16 AM

Thank you for getting back to me on this..

The system has since had a major decline in functionality. I don't have an install iso for win 7 because my OS is OEM. 

I was able to set up a usb drive with parted magic in order to try to diagnose the HDD. The SMART system said the drive was healthy. However it recommended running chkdsk /f. unfortunately my machine is currently unbootable into normal windows. I get STOP: c000021a code.

The system recovery tool does come up but it is also unable to help showing its own error code.

To make matters worse the command prompt is stuck on the X: Directory and I've never set up an X: drive and can't seem to locate the drive with my OS.
Edit: apparenly this is normal.

I already went through Lenovo's website trying to find a solution or at least the win 7 iso but it seems there isn't any way of contacting them without paying per minute. In which case I will have to pay someone to take a look at it. :smash:  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Tronnosaur, 09 February 2016 - 01:50 PM.

#7 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 10:29 PM

Run SeaTools for DOS, LONG test.  You'll have to use another system to create the CD-R w/SeaTools on it.

https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/4072-hard-drive-hdd-diagnostics.html

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#8 Tronnosaur

Tronnosaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:00 PM

I got one key recovery to work and revert to the original system image when I got the computer. I got the intel driver updater to run and downloaded sea tools for windows and ran it. I got a BSOD while running seatools and am uploading the sysnative report and the perfmon report as well.

I ran Seatools for DOS as well the long test FAILED but it was able to repair the errors and passed the short and long test after the repair. The system appears to be running fine I will continue to keep an eye on things. are there any tests needed or errors in the BDOD or the system in general that you see?

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users