Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux wifi setup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:23 PM

Hello all,

I wasn't sure where to post this, if it needs to be moved to the Linux forum please do.

This is fairly detailed but I'll try to keep it brief:

Currently stuck using wifi/would prefer wired but out of my hands.

When previously using Win7, I was able to disable something called network discovery, which if my understanding is correct kept everything on the network hidden/semi-hidden from each other.

There was also a command line parameter for the wireless card that could be set to only have the wireless "see" my chosen network, and none of the neighboring ones.  I can find the exact command syntax if needed/it was along the lines of:

"netsh wlan *something* ssid denyall"-to block everything, then

"netsh wlan add-filter allow-ssid "chosen network"- to allow the correct one only.

First, am I understanding these correctly, and second, is there a similar way to do this with Linux?  There are several other networks around here and I just want to avoid any issues and make things as secure as possible.  Been trying to figure it out for a while.

Hope that made sense :unsure:

Gen. Barker - You haven't heard the last of this!!

Hawkeye Pierce - I wasn't listening to the first of it...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 319 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:04 AM

Figured I'd take another shot at this one.

The original description in my first post is still the best way I could think of to word it.  Basically, I only want this computer to recognize the correct network, and not even have any of the neighboring ones show up at all as available.

Any assistance greatly appreciated :thumbup2:

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 13 February 2016 - 02:02 PM

Maybe this what you're looking for..Here At the bottom are instructions on how to manually edit the interfaces with SSID and KEY and then following up with removing or disabling network manager. You should create a directory and copy/backup the interface file into that directory along with a readme.txt note. This is will help you remember later in the future should you want to reverse what you did. If you remove network manager you should note that you will have to apt-get install it again. Assuming you're using a Debian based linux.

sudo apt-get install network-manager

or, if you use wicd.

sudo apt-get install wicd-gtk

more information about this Here

I also suggest installing a more user friendly editor gedit (graphical txt editor)

sudo apt-get install gedit.

#4 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 319 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:23 PM

Thanks for the info :thumbup2:

On first glance seems a little out of my league, but I'll see if I can figure it out.  Biggest concern is I don't want to break anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users