Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Verbatim 500 external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Goldfish101

Goldfish101

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:03 PM

Hi
I have a Verbatim 500 external drive and my pc has been hit with a virus. The virus has placed some sort of USB device on the drive which is now showing as an unknown usb device on a USB root hub 2 ports when plugged in rather than verbatim as previously. PC says no driver files are required or loaded for the device and that the driver software is up to date. The disc drive is lighting up and working away. However I am unable to access the drive.
I had used another usb stick to download some files and after loafing the files it was then showing up as a drive E with the devices added. I had to use a usb fix tool to format the pen back to its original state which worked. The USB fix tool erased all data on the pen which was empty anyway so no issue. Obviously with files on the verbatim drive I don't want to do that. Any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:25 PM

Download Puppy Tahrpup linux here. Burn the iso and boot the CD. At the Puppy Desktop attach your Verbatim external drive. A small USB icon will appear next to your optical drive icon. Click once on the USB icon. Puppy will mount the USB external and a File Manager will open. Do you see your files?

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 February 2016 - 06:25 PM.

#3 Goldfish101

Goldfish101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 05:08 PM

Hi
Showing as multi flash reader, with everything unknown and permissions could not be determined

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 05:28 PM

It's possible the USB bridge card has failed. Some of the portable drives have the bridge card integrated with the PCB and micro USB connector soldered in place. Some are built where you can pull the drive from the enclosure and attach it to another computer internally or by using a USB enclosure. A USB adapter can also be used.

If your verbatim is like the one in this video, it's possible to pull the drive and remove the USB bridge card. If the drive has the USB connector is soldered to the drives PCB then you will need to use a professional data recovery service. It may be necessary to use the service even if you can connect the drive via USB depending on the condition of the drive.

#5 Goldfish101

Goldfish101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:11 PM

Hi
I believe some two types of USB device with drivers were posted to the device and subsequently removed with triggers. PC did it to a USB pen device which required removal of same with a USB repair tool to restore it. It had a drive letter with portable device, then a USB mass storage device type USB and then a UT 165 USB 2.0 USB device listed as a disk drive. So I think that the device is okay just that it has been compromised by a virus.
Drivers are system 32\drivers\ substorms.sys
System 32 drivers disk.sys
System32\drivers \part mgr.sys
i also think that WMPnetwork was listed plus possibly wpdbusenum was in the mix.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:19 PM

Just to clarify, you did boot Puppy and it showed as a multi flash reader? Puppy should take any drivers you listed out of the picture as it uses it's own USB drivers. Being linux based, Puppy should be able to see the files on the drive unless they were encrypted.

#7 Goldfish101

Goldfish101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:56 PM

Hi
Ran Linux Mint as I had a cd for that. Trying to arrange for Linux Puppy cd elsewhere due to problems with download

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:03 PM

Linux Mint will work fine also. Can your detect the drive with Mint?

#9 Goldfish101

Goldfish101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:17 PM

Hi
Linux will not boot with it installed. When I remove it linux boots and there comes up a message your are now disconnected and offline? Does not pick up the drive when plugged in

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:44 PM

When you say the computer will not boot when installed, are you booting mint from a DVD? 

Attach the drive after Linux Mint Boots. Can you access the drive? If not then open terminal and type

fdisk -l

post the output

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 February 2016 - 04:44 PM.

#11 Goldfish101

Goldfish101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:08 PM

Hi
I'm not familiar with linux. Anyway opened terminal and getting invalid option '1' on fdisk -1
Hi
Meant to say running mint from a CD

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:17 PM

When you connected the USB hard drive it should have automatically opened a File Manager window showing the contents of the drive.

It is not a 1 but a lowercase "L"

for Mint you need to type

sudo fdisk -l 

This will give you an output. Do you see your USB hard drive listed?  You can also check by typing Disks in the Search Box (click the Menu button). It will give a graphic of all drives attached.

#13 Goldfish101

Goldfish101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:31 PM

Hi
Did not open a file manager when plugged in. When it is plugged into windows I was getting unknown device
Typed in command and got unable to open l no such file or directory.
Drive is lit up with a green light

#14 Goldfish101

Goldfish101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:35 PM

Hi
Disk Drives are
500gb hard disk
Cd/ DVD
Multi flash reader - no media
1.6 GB Loop Device

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:40 PM

I just did sudo  fdisk -l on my Mint DVD and it listed all disks attached including the USB flash drive.

If 

sudo fdisk -l 

does not work then use

fdisk -l

the command needs to be in all lower case. Is the internal HDD of your computer also 500 GB?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users