Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What do these errors mean, sounds to me like something bad with the HDD

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:43 PM

I recently saw some errors in the event viewer*, they were "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR31." and several instances of "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR24.". I have included below the full error logs from within event viewer, there is however a problem with me being able to give you further data on this. You see this error occured a few days back and since then I have, for an unrelated reason to do with a few accidental system changes I made, had to revert to a system image from months back. I did, before the reverting, copy the event viewer logs of these errors to txt files and put those on a drive which wasn't reimaged, but the original error logs are now, I'm afraid, gone. I was hoping that there might be enough data in these logs below to help someone work out what these errors mean, although I understand with only two error logs to go on(I'll fill in those {replaced} numbers if it helps you) it might not be possble to draw any conclusions.

At the time these errors occured I was in the middle of copying files between USB sticks and cd discs**, so they might be errors related to USB sticks or something rather than to the HDD, I would like help in telling which.

I have no experienced any weird system behaviour since these happened nor any noticable slowing or crashes. No similar errors have occured since. One other thing to note is that these errors occured in a a pattern of several within a few seconds at one time then one happening alone several hours later. At the times of the errors nothing memorable occured, no error pop-up prompts or anything, I did not see any sign of them until I chanced upon them in the event viewer some hours after the final one of them. I was probably, but cannot remember with absolute certainty, offline at the time the error occured.

This was what one of the earlier errors looked like(note that if you recognise this structure of log and know that the numbers aren't private ones then I can provide them if you need them, the bits which have been removed until I know whether they are private are indicated with {text in curly brackets}):

Log Name: System
Source: disk
Date: {potentially private number?}
Event ID: 11
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: {private name}
Description:
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR24.
Event Xml:
11200x80000000000000{potentially private number?}System{private name}\Device\Harddisk1\DR24{potentially private number?}

There were a few like that, then there was one later one like this:

Log Name: System
Source: disk
Date: {potentially private number?}
Event ID: 11
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: {private name}
Description:
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR31.
Event Xml:
11200x80000000000000{potentially private number?}System{private name}\Device\Harddisk1\DR31{potentially private number?}

I tried to find those \Device\Harddisk1\DR31 and \Device\Harddisk1\DR24 things by looking in device manager, but couldn't easily find anything matching those names. I was hoping someone might be able to tell me where to look to find out what those things are whether they are the HDD or whether they are just USB drives.

Also note, before the reimaging I ran minitoolbox to "list devices" "only problems" but it found only one thing and that thing didn't seem to be related to this, I've run it again just now (after the system image restoration) and now it lists no problematic devices.

Thank You

*I know the event viewer is full of errors and most of them are of no consequence and not worth worrying about, but this is a type of error I have never seen before and which I am concerned might be hardware related.

**Some of these discs didn't burn very well, a few of them were ejected with various errors saying they couldn't be burned, could this have been what was going on? Maybe these errors were something to do with a corrupt cd disc?

The formattting of those error logs in my post has been messed up, I guess because the forum interpreted the <triangular bracketed> bits in some unusual way, how do I post in some sort of "quote" or code box thing which will stop this happening? Thanks

Edited by rp88, 02 February 2016 - 04:49 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,678 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:50 PM

Seems the USB sticks have been causing a few more problems then in the past.  I've had instances where users USB ports were "dirty" and intermittent.  The users attempted to load an updated BIOS via the USB front panel jack.  The fault caused a complete BIOS meltdown.  I have had two drive controllers fail but replaced with donor control boards.  The overlooked fault I experienced on an on the MOBO controller chip fail that wreaked havoc on the hard drives until the fault was caught.  I took an OS loaded on an identical unit to realize it wasn't the drive.

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,968 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 05:21 PM

Hi,

When you open the Windows Disk Manager do you have any Harddisk1?

I suspect this is all related to the USB devices you connected. Some device don't work properly connected to to USB ports on the case and we must connect them directly to the motherboard using the ports on the back of the machine.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:27 PM

Post #3,
where do I find "disk manager"?
thanks

Edited by rp88, 04 February 2016 - 02:27 PM.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:32 PM

Post #3,
where do I find "disk manager"?
thanks

Probably meant:  C:\Windows\System32\diskmgmt.msc

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#6 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:48 PM

I opened that and saw this:Attached File  disc stuff.png   194KB   0 downloads

#7 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:50 PM

Does this therefore mean my harddrive is disk 0? Would that therefore mean that the error messages were about one of the USB memory sticks? Does this mean there is probably no hardware problem affecting my machine?

P.S. would it be any help to you if I edited my first post to have those removed numbers in it?
Thanks

Edited by rp88, 04 February 2016 - 02:50 PM.

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,678 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:56 PM

It looks like two partitions with reserved space in each.  NO ERRORS.  That does point to the USB device or the port/cable.

#9 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:09 PM

So this doesn't look to be due to a problem with internal hardware then?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:43 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#11 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,968 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:18 PM

So this doesn't look to be due to a problem with internal hardware then?

Exactly.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#12 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:05 PM

hamluis, post #10, neither of those will help, because since this error occured I restored from a system image, hence the only records of it which I have left are those things I posted in my first post. Because of my refreshing from a system image (for unrelated reasons) anything which would be in event viewer is gone. Although I can show you the users/partitions/memory size result from minitoolbox, if it's any use, although it shows the users/partitions/memory size NOW (as in after refreshing from that image) not the state they were in when I saw the errors.

MiniToolBox by Farbar Version: 21-07-2014
Ran by {private name} (administrator) on 06-02-2016 at 19:02:57
Running from "D:\Users\{private name}\installers and exe files"
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (X64)
Boot Mode: Normal

========================= Memory info: ===================================

Percentage of memory in use: 34%
Total physical RAM: 3979.3 MB
Available physical RAM: 2611.19 MB
Total Pagefile: 4683.3 MB
Available Pagefile: 2915.44 MB
Total Virtual: 4095.88 MB
Available Virtual: 3979.43 MB

========================= Partitions: =====================================

1 Drive c: () (Fixed) (Total:197.9 GB) (Free:151.73 GB) NTFS
2 Drive d: () (Fixed) (Total:218.69 GB) (Free:171.3 GB) NTFS

========================= Users: ========================================

User accounts for \\{private name}

Administrator Guest {private name}

**** End of log ****

Post#11, as long as that's the case I'm not so worried then. Thank You.

Edited by rp88, 06 February 2016 - 02:06 PM.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 03:40 PM

So you no longer have any errors...your restoration solved your problems?

Louis

#14 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 01:44 PM

No errors related to this, no. Given that Post#6 seems to indicate that the error in question was related to a USb stick rather than the harddrive (because the hard-drive seems to be called disk 0 and the errors involve a disk1), in which case it doesn't worry me so much. As long as the hardware of my computer is ok I'm not too worried.

Thanks for your help everyone

Edited by rp88, 08 February 2016 - 01:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users