Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Several Recent BSOD on My Computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 traguchodo

traguchodo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:17 PM

My details are as follows:

OS - Windows 7
x64
Windows 7 is the original OS
Windows 7 SP 1
PC is about 6 years old.
Windows OS is about 4 years old.
CPU is Intel® Core™ 2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20 GHz
6 GB of RAM
Video Card is Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family
It is a laptop

Toshiba P505-S8980

When I attempted to run the perfmon /report, I am told:  An error occured while attempting to generate the report. The system cannot find the path specified. 

Hello,

Recently, I started having periodic blue screen issues. Other than that, my computer is running normally. I'm a fairly experienced user - I actually got through college removing viruses from people's computer for Microsoft when they had their AnswerDesk. However, I'm not too familiar with these types of issues. The only change I made was installing the OpenAFS file system driver. I believe this may have something to do with the problem because when I was trying to use Windows Explorer, I get periodic freezes of applications which are writing / reading from AFS directories. Unfortunately, I need the software on my computer. However, if it is the AFS causing the crash, I would like to know so that I can alert them. Also, I would like to point out, I am dual boot with a Ubuntu partition and I have Grub installed as my bootloader. One of the options in Grub is to run memtest, which I did. However, it did not report any errors.

The two blue screen errors I have gotten so far are the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and the BAD_POOL_HEADER error. After the first blue screen, I uninstalled my anti-virus software, which was the Microsoft Security Essentials to see if that would prevent further errors, but then I got the bad pool header error.

I appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Thank you.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:45 AM

Hi.  . .

See if updating your Atheros NIC driver helps quell the BSODs - https://www.sysnative.com/drivers/driver.php?id=L1C62x64.sys

Your exact model:  Atheros AR8132 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#3 traguchodo

traguchodo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:22 AM

I updated the driver as you requested. I honestly thought this solved the problem. I used my computer normally after I updated the driver and I didn't experience any crashes or abnormalities till last night. Unfortunately, last night it happened again. I discovered that my computer had blue screened again. 

Once I restarted it, I ran the SysnativeBSODCollectionApp again and I have attached the results here.

Attached Files

#4 traguchodo

traguchodo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 05:38 PM

Hi,

Another BSOD just happened now. I ran the sysnative bsod collector again.

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files

#5 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:34 PM

Hi. . .

Thank you for the files.

BSODs #2 + #3 have the same probable cause - L1C62x64.sys - the same as BSOD #1.

It appears that the driver was not updated.

Look at the driver timestamps - the last line of each is the same:

BSOD - 02-11-16  

1: kd> lmvm L1C62x64
start             end                 module name
fffff880`03c11000 fffff880`03c23000   L1C62x64 T (no symbols)          
    Loaded symbol image file: L1C62x64.sys
    Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\L1C62x64.sys
    Image name: L1C62x64.sys
    Timestamp:        Wed Apr 01 01:09:17 2009 (49D2F6FD)

BSOD - 03-05-16

0: kd> lmvm L1C62x64
fffff880`04a2f000 fffff880`04a42000   L1C62x64 T (no symbols)          
    Timestamp:        Mon Jul 27 03:04:36 2009 (4A6D5184)

BSOD 03-10-16

fffff880`04a00000 fffff880`04a13000   L1C62x64 T (no symbols)          
    Timestamp:        Mon Jul 27 03:04:36 2009 (4A6D5184)

All 3 BSODs list L1C62x64.sys with the same date - Mon July 27, 2009.

Did the driver update appear to work OK? Any issues at all?

Was it an installer update (EXE file) or was it an INF file that you pointed to with Device Manager to update it?

Was the driver update that you downloaded an EXE file or ZIP file?

If the latter, was there any documentation with it?

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Edited by jcgriff2, 10 March 2016 - 08:47 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#6 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:44 PM

Hi again. . .

I was wrong in my last post.

I just noticed that the driver update did indeed work. My eyes just saw "2009" on BSOD #2 + #3 and assumed the update had failed. I didn't examine the month + day. I was expecting the year on the updated driver to be 2015 or 2016.

The new driver is just 3 months newer than the old -- not much help at all here.

I don't know of any other site for Atheros driver updates than those listed in the DRT - https://www.sysnative.com/drivers/driver.php?id=L1C62x64.sys

Where did you find the driver update -- at the "official" update site or the "unofficial" update site?

Whichever one, try the other.

If no-go, try installing other Atheros drivers. Maybe one will work, but I wouldn't bother unless it's a significant update (date-wise).  

Be sure to create a Windows System Restore point first so that in  the event of disaster, you can get back to where you started.

https://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-8-windows-rt-tutorials/10740-windows-system-restore-create-restore-point-windows-8-1-8-7-vista.html

Without a [significant] driver update, BSODs will continue to occur.

This is the exact reason that I buy laptops with Intel wifi and Realtek Ethernet only  as these two companies keep their drivers updated religiously.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Edited by jcgriff2, 10 March 2016 - 08:52 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#7 traguchodo

traguchodo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:39 AM

Seriously thank you for all your help on this. It means a lot to me that someone volunteers their time to do this kind of stuff for faceless strangers.

Honestly, I just installed the driver update that you recommended from that website. I guess that is from an unofficial site? The driver process went through and installed and claimed it was updated.

Just now, I updated it again to a version 7/16/2013 which I found on some website. Let's see what happens.

Right now, this laptop is plugged in to my router via a LAN cable. I use it really as a desktop and never move it (This laptop has a 23' screen - it isn't exactly portable). 

One thing I'm thinking about doing is just disabling it and just using my WiFi instead. The computer is right next to my router, so I don't expect there would be much difference in speed from using WiFi vs using the LAN card... and maybe if I use the Wifi and disable the LAN I won't get this error code again.

If it happens again, I'll repost but I'm also considering trying just maybe using Wifi and no LAN.

Thanks!

Edited by traguchodo, 11 March 2016 - 01:53 AM.

#8 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:18 AM

Hi. . .

It is my sincere pleasure to try and help. Thank you for your kind words.

You did in fact successfully update the driver. The problem with it was that it was only 3 months newer than the old one (written in 2009).

I do hope that the July 2013 driver update solves the BSOD epidemic. Time will tell.

Using the wifi is a good alternative. systeminfo output lists your wifi adapter as:

Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC

As I mentioned earlier, Realtek tends to keep drivers updated.

I would give the new Atheros driver some time though -- if for no other reason -- my curiosity!

If you do end up going with wifi, be sure to disable the Ethernet driver via Device Manager because eventhough not in use, the Ethernet driver would still be loaded into RAM and could therefore still cause you trouble (BSODs). Disabled device's drivers do not get loaded into RAM.

Regards. . .

John

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#9 traguchodo

traguchodo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 01:37 PM

Hi- 

I updated the driver. I think it is a 2013 version, but unfortunately the blue screen has re-occurred after installing that update and restarting the computer to make it take effect.

I'm now just going to try disabling the wired LAN and using the wireless to see if the error occurs then.

Thanks!

Attached Files

#10 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 12:43 AM

The latest BSOD was caused by the updated (2013) version of the Atheros driver -

fffff880`04000000 fffff880`04022000   L1C62x64 T (no symbols)     
    Timestamp:        Tue Jul 16 02:56:44 2013 (51E4EEAC)

Be sure when using wifi to disable the Atheros driver in Device Manager otherwise it will still get loaded into RAM and could continue to cause problems.

Regards. . .

John

Edited by jcgriff2, 13 March 2016 - 12:43 AM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users