Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Teslacrypt 3.0 infection from "1channel" via "Kodi"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 herb420

herb420

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:00 PM

Hey, I was recently infected by the Teslacrypt 3.0 while streaming a T.V show on the 1channel repository via Kodi.

I tried to stream a show and I got the "working..." tab pop up stating it was trying to buffer the stream. After the first link wouldn't load, I selected the second link on the list of available sites (that the show was being streamed on.) After I selected the second site, I got a pop-up on my laptop saying something along the lines of the firewall is restricted and asking if I wanted to allow access, naively I clicked okay and the stream started to play the episode. After a few minutes of watching the show I could hear an advertisement being played simultaneously as the show was playing. Instantly I had my heart sink as I knew I had allowed malware on my CPU by giving the website access through my firewall. I exited Kodi and disconnected from the internet and ran the malwarebytes scanner, and while the scan was completing I discovered the .micro file name on all of my files. After a bit of research (with my laptop in safe mode w/networking) I found out I got the teslacrypt 3.0 infection my system. of course I did not have a restore point to go back to and as of now my data is GONE  :huh:  :unsure:  :angry:

Sorry for the long winded story, just figured the more information out there; the better we can prevent this from happening to others.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-herb420

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:21 PM

TeslaCrypt ransomware includes several known versions with various extensions for encrypted files. Any files that are encrypted with TeslaCrypt 3.0 will have the .xxx, .ttt or .micro extension appended to the end of the filename as described in this news article and leave .html, .txt files (ransom notes) with names like recovery_file_[random].txt, recover_file_[random].txt, Howto_Restore_FILES.TXT and help_recover_instructions+[random].txt.

A repository of all current knowledge regarding TeslaCrypt, Alpha Crypt and newer variants is provided by Grinler (aka Lawrence Abrams), in this topic: TeslaCrypt and Alpha Crypt Ransomware Information Guide and FAQ.

There currently is no way of decrypting TeslaCrypt 3.0 .xxx, .ttt, or .micro variants since they use a different protection/key exchange algorithm, a different method of key storage and the key for them cannot be recovered. The .xxx, .ttt and .micro variants do not have a SharedSecret*PrivateKey so they are not supported by the current version of TeslaViewer. If infected with any of these extensions, backup all your encrypted files, send BloodDolly a private message with a link to few encrypted files after uploading them to SendSpace (see instructions in Post #1) and wait for solution.

There is an ongoing discussion in this topic where you can ask questions and seek further assistance.You can also post comments in the related BC News article:Most crypto ransomware is typically programmed to automatically remove itself...the malicious files responsible for the infection...after the encrypting is done since they are no longer needed. However, most victims don't know how long the malware was on the system before they were alerted or if another piece of malware was responsible for installing it. If other malware was involved it could still be present if your antivirus did not detect and remove it.

If you need individual assistance only with removing the malware infection, start a new topic and repost your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Rather than have everyone start individual topics, it would be best (and more manageable for staff) if you posted any questions, comments or requests for assistance in that topic discussion. Doing that will also ensure you receive proper assistance from our crypto malware experts since they may not see this thread. To avoid unnecessary confusion...this topic is closed.

Thanks
The BC Staff
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users