Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Printer Install - Error 0x00000709

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fitzy04

fitzy04

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 03:30 PM

Hello everyone,

So my company has a print server in our UK office. Everyone seems to be able to print to it except 1 person. This user (let's call her Sally) had the printer installed already from the print server and the next day, it disappeared. Now, trying to reinstall it, no matter what user I'm logged in as on this specific computer, I get this error:

Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000709). Double check the printer name and make sure that the printer is connected to the network.

As I said, other people have been printing to it and I'm in our USA office and I was able to install the printer from the UK print server on my own computer. Just out of curiousity, I've tried stopping and restarting the print spooler, tried stopping and restarted the print server DNS server service, tried stopping and restarting Sally's computer's DNS client service, tried running Ccleaner. I've even tried installing other printers from the same print server and I even connected Sally's computer to our USA print server and couldn't install any of those printers either.

The only thing I could find in Google searches have been if you are getting this error when trying to change your default printer to another printer on the client computer, which is not the case for me. The printer was already installed, disappeared, and now I cannot get it reinstalled, getting the above error message.

Anybody have any ideas or suggestions? It would be very much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 03:48 PM

This is only a guess but open Devices and Printers. Click on the Microsoft XPS printer. In the menu bar click Print Server Properties. Under the Drivers tab remove any driver of the printer that disappeared and the ones you tried to add if any. 

Then try adding the printer again. You may have already seen this video on the 0x00000709 error.

#3 fitzy04

fitzy04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 03:59 PM

Thanks for your reply. May only be a guess but I'll take anything at this point.

Anyway, I've deleted the drivers in the Print Server Properties as you suggested (leaving on the XPS driver and another driver from our Fax server), rebooted, still same error.\

Just for extra information, I already said I tried what I tried from Sally's account. I don't believe I mentioned that I also tried from a different network account as well, this one being a domain admin, which needless to say, didn't work, as I posted to this forum.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:09 PM

I can't say this will help but because this problem is on one computer only see if setting the permissions to the registry key in this video works. Other than that, I got nothing.

#5 fitzy04

fitzy04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:13 PM

I actually watched that video already and even though that one is getting the error while trying to set the default printer (not installing), I still tried it anyway, even rebooted, and still same error.

I do appreciate or time and suggestions though! Just getting to be a real pain and unfortunately, since I'm in the USA and the user/computer is in the UK, I can't really reimage the computer. Or even run a Windows repair on it with the Windows 7 install/recovery disk.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:17 PM

Have you tried manually installing the printer driver to the computer and then connecting the network printer?

You might get a better response starting a new thread in the Networking Forum and referencing this thread. 

#7 fitzy04

fitzy04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:35 PM

It appears I'm able to install the printer by IP address (having to select the driver that I downloaded earlier during the install). But I gave it a different name and it still won't allow me to install that same printer (with the same IP address from the server).

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 05:09 PM

This page shows a different error code but is it possible to install as a local printer to a local port and then adding the network printer for a name of the local port?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users