Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for new PC

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 xxnonamexx

xxnonamexx

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 03:00 PM

Existing:

Windows 10 64 bit

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9450@ 2.66Ghz 

DDR SDRAM8GB RAM

ASUS P5E

NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT

I built this myself over 5 years ago I am looking to upgrade and was wondering what should I look at superior to this unit. I like staying ahead of technology. I own a Surface Pro 4 16GB but I need a desktop for certain programs like Adobe products etc. No need for gaming. Any advice greatly appreciated. 

Already built would be ok. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:30 PM

What is your budget?
And I'm confused why you said ddr sdram because the core 2 quad supports ddr2 and 3 only.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 xxnonamexx

xxnonamexx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:47 PM

the pc specs says DDR2 SDRAM. Budget depends what should I look for? I am trying to get a powerful desktop in a smaller form since my desktop take up alot of space.

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:58 PM

Hello,
Can you please follow this format:
My budget for the new computer is:

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?

What software do you intend on using on the computer?

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?

Will you be overclocking?

I would recommend spending no less than $700 if you plan on building a pc.
Here is a possible parts list.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g8mjt6
Put in a hard drive if you need.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 xxnonamexx

xxnonamexx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:19 AM

My budget for the new computer is: under 800

I currently use a surface pro 4 16gb 256gb as my pc to surf web download, adobe muse. I also own a MACbook laptop 2 years old as well. I just want to upgrade my existing desktop but looking to eliminate the big tower. which isn't needed as I am looking to condense space. Is an AIO desktop worth it? I like the setup so far that you provided should I get a i7 so I don't need to upgrade so soon in the future? 

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? Mail, Web Browsing, 

What software do you intend on using on the computer? adobe programs like muse, photoshop, possibly photo, video editing software,

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? NO GAMES

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? multiple programs running at same time

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? yes but I have an internal Samsung 850 SSD Drive and 2 2 TB external HDs

Will you be overclocking? No

Edited by xxnonamexx, 03 February 2016 - 08:20 AM.

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:28 AM

For adobe products a Xeon or an i7 is highly recommended. If you can build your pc, I would recommend it.

You might not even need the ssd I put in. When you build this transfer over all your drives format the ssd and install Windows.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 xxnonamexx

xxnonamexx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:33 AM

Thanks I love building a PC when I built my existing unit pcs on the market didn't even have quad cores out. This is why I want to upgrade it to stay ahead of the game plus eliminate the 2 DVD drives I currently have lol. Should I get a new heat sink/fan for the processor? What about Video card it mentions depends on CPU? Soundcard? Anything else I need to buy I have a 24" monitor that should be fine. If you think their are any other configurations I should make please let me know I thank you for all of your assistance and appreciate it.

Edited by xxnonamexx, 03 February 2016 - 09:31 AM.

#8 xxnonamexx

xxnonamexx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 02:54 PM

The reviews on the case appear to be bad for air flow any other case recommendations? I also have been looking from your setup and found this motherboard that appears a bit superior http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-157-390     What do you think? Thanks

Edited by xxnonamexx, 03 February 2016 - 03:06 PM.

#9 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:45 PM

That motherboard is good. Asrock is reliable.
This case might be better: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/thermaltake-case-ca1e600s1wn00
You can use the stock cooler on your Xeon.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:06 PM

The Corsair 250D case also looks decent and well designed. Review here - https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/Obsidian_250D/

You'd need a video card to go with the Xeon - that particular one has no integrated graphics.  Some have them, some don't.  The E3-1246 V3, for example, has Intel P4600 integrated graphics.  The GTX 8800 is pretty dated now so re-using that not ideal.  The socket 1150 i7's (e.g. i7-4790) have integrated graphics.

Edited by jonuk76, 03 February 2016 - 07:52 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#11 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:56 PM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hHDsqs
With integrated graphics

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#12 xxnonamexx

xxnonamexx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:04 AM

That motherboard is good. Asrock is reliable.
This case might be better: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/thermaltake-case-ca1e600s1wn00
You can use the stock cooler on your Xeon.

I am trying to use the parts picker you picked for me and swapping with the MOBO I picked that you liked as well with the thermaltake case you suggested. Do you think I can max out the processor a little more or the 3.3 is fine?

Edited by xxnonamexx, 04 February 2016 - 10:10 AM.

#13 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 11:09 AM

3.3 ghz should be plenty. A faster processor in ghz might do adobe premiere a little faster but not much.
Another more expensive option would be the lga 2011v3. With that you could get more cpu cores but for more money.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#14 xxnonamexx

xxnonamexx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 12:46 PM

3.3 ghz should be plenty. A faster processor in ghz might do adobe premiere a little faster but not much.
Another more expensive option would be the lga 2011v3. With that you could get more cpu cores but for more money.

How come when I try to add the parts I picked they are unavailable in the parts picker. I like how you did it but I want to change the MOBO and case to Arock and Thermal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users