Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mint update hiccup...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:57 PM

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone else had noticed anything strage with Mint update manager in the last few days? 

For some reason, whenever I ran it or tried to update from the command line it would hang for quite a while.  Various error messages would show in the update manager if I tried to abort, and in the cmd line it would stick on "extras.linuxmint.com". 

It does seem ok for the moment but I was just wondering if there might be anything to it...

Gen. Barker - You haven't heard the last of this!!

Hawkeye Pierce - I wasn't listening to the first of it...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,481 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 03:02 PM

Not for me, usually internet connections give me issues, or server, but considering I haven't heard anyone else with the issue probably internet.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:21 PM

Not for me, usually internet connections give me issues, or server, but considering I haven't heard anyone else with the issue probably internet.

As of now no problems using the internet otherwise. 

The one message that kept coming up in update manager was "another application is using APT".  The only things I felt comfortable trying were to change mirrors for mint and run a terminal command to unlock apt (can't remember what it was but also had to do -f install afterwards). 

I don't know,  :unsure:  so far seems to be back to normal.

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:28 PM

Hi 66Batmobile,

"another application is using APT"

It's possible that update manager was using it when you were trying to do so.

run a terminal command to unlock apt (can't remember what it was but also had to do -f install

Type history in a terminal and it will dislpay a list of previously entered commands.

change mirrors

This is usually a good idea when you have any problems with updates.

#5 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:45 PM

Thanks guys,

On a related note, while I was trying to find a solution, I came across differing opinions as to which update method is preferable. 

I'd have to find it again, but the point that jumped out was that for mint, using the update manager default setting (only safe level 1-3 updates) was the way to go the majority of the time, and that using the terminal (update and upgrade) would do all 5 update levels the same as Ubuntu, and may cause issues.  Is there anything to that?

Please note, I don't want to start a mint/ubuntu debate regarding above, just curious :thumbup2:

Edited by 66Batmobile, 02 February 2016 - 04:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users