Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seagate SRD00F1 1TB HDD beeping, Head stuck?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dieselz

Dieselz

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:55 AM

Hello, yesterday my external harddrive accidentally fell off my computer and landed on its side/corner on the floor (I keep my computer on the floor and hard drive ontop).

I cant remember if it continued to work after that, but when i shut off my computer It took a while before I manually held down the power supply. Few minutes after that I heard a continuous fast paced beeping, thought it was my computer so i switched the wall socket off that my computrer was connected to.

This morning when I turned my computer on, it took long to start up, so I removed my hard drive to see if that was the problem and it was.

Now my hard drive will not show up in file explorer nor disk manager (is this normal if the head is stuck?) I tried plugging it in a laptop and I get the same fast paced beeping sound. However, the light does appear when it is plugged in.

My hard drive is around one or two years old and has lot of data on it, around 90gb, and I am running windows 8.1

Edit: It is a portable drive, just plugged it into a windows 10 laptop and it showes up in devices, but i am unable to access it, i think it is still readable

Edited by Dieselz, 02 February 2016 - 01:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:56 PM

A solid knock can do serious damage.. it mostly depends on whether the unit was on or off at the time.  If turned off and powered down properly, it may have survived as most have a park routine to move the heads off the platter surface on power off.  I would not however, put any volatile data on it as it could fail at any time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users