Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thinkpad Windows 10 upgrade connection problem?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 provobis

provobis

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:52 AM

My wife was given a Thinkpad T410 (refurb). It came installed with windows 7 pro and qualifies for windows 10 upgrade which I tried to do twice. And twice I had to roll back to 7 because I lost connectivity via my wireless network and don't know why or how. Evidently this Thinkpad uses Bluetooth to connect via my WiFi passphrase but loses Bluetooth which windows 10 does not support and upon upgrading advises that Bluetooth has been removed or otherwise deactivated. Thinking something had to be updated or configured in device manager under network adapters I see iNTEL ® 82577LM GIGABIT NETWORK CONNECTION and INTEL ® CENTRINO ® ADVANCED-N6200AGN. I attempted to update the drivers for those but M$oft says they are already the latest. So maybe they don't work for non Bluetooth WiFi???

I have tried to connect using the same WiFi process that works for three other computers (windows 10 & XP) on my network but always get a "not connected" or otherwise offline message, so I'm guessing that whatever this Thinkpad has installed for wireless adapters does not work or is invalid for WiFi wireless connection. Very strange because anyone else in my family can WiFi connect with their puters or devices if in range of my network when they're visiting me.

Wondering if I have to buy a laptop wireless adapter for this Thinkpad or else just forget windows 10 upgrade and stay with windows 7 pro on this Thinkpad laptop. Only reason I would like windows 10 is it's faster for certain purposes.

Any ideas, solutions, suggestions, anyone?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:27 PM

You could try a laptop wireless adapter but how about trying a direct Ethernet connection? 

However, what is the original OS? If this website http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t410?beta=null is the correct driver website for your computer, there are XP & Vista drivers included.

Even though Windows 7 qualifies for the Windows 10 free upgrade, if the basic system is XP or Vista those are issues

#3 provobis

provobis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:49 PM

You could try a laptop wireless adapter but how about trying a direct Ethernet connection? 

However, what is the original OS? If this website http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t410?beta=null is the correct driver website for your computer, there are XP & Vista drivers included.

Even though Windows 7 qualifies for the Windows 10 free upgrade, if the basic system is XP or Vista those are issues

Thanks cmptrgy, you're the first to reply here, and I might add Thinkpad forums has yet to reply about their own laptop.

The original OS? I don't have a clue! This Thinkpad was a gift given to my wife which I've been told was bought from Amazon. I assume it came with 7 PRO that way. Yes it qualifies for the 10 upgrade because M$oft says it does with the 10 icon on the task bar as well as M$oft checking before the actual downloads and installs. I doubt Windows 7 PRO was installed over XP or Vista because the person who gave it to my wife does not know enough to install another OS. Is it possible that Amazon had 7 installed in place of an original OS?

I'm sure I could use a direct Ethernet connection but only temporarily (with windows 10), but why would I do that if i want to connect wireless. The laptop is located several rooms away from my WiFi host router so I can't use an ethernet cable. Anyway, it really p----s me off that normal wireless connectivity that works with everything else, won't with this Thinkpad !!!! I'd like to know why and/or fix the problem if there's an answer. 

If I bought a laptop wireless adapter is it certain that would pick up my network and connect? I was considering this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015PDN8ZK/ref=s9_zwish_hd_bw_bwfo3_g147_i6/181-3175388-8772464?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-5&pf_rd_r=1B9G6YRENSBGW8CKYCV8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=2222935602&pf_rd_i=13983731

What do you think?

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 03:28 PM

"I'm sure I could use a direct Ethernet connection but only temporarily"

--- I should have said that myself.

--- My intent is to see whether or not the laptop will upgrade to Windows 10

--- That wireless laptop adapter looks ok to me

However I wouldn't do the upgrade wirelessly

In addition I recommend creating a Windows 7 system image backup and a system image repair disc onto an external hard drive

I would also go to Lenovo's website support for your exact model

Let it find the information it needs to recognize your computer such as a serial number

Then see what drivers are provided

I want to believe Windows 7 Pro was the original OS but it should be verified. 

#5 provobis

provobis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:33 PM

"I'm sure I could use a direct Ethernet connection but only temporarily"

--- I should have said that myself.

--- My intent is to see whether or not the laptop will upgrade to Windows 10

--- That wireless laptop adapter looks ok to me

However I wouldn't do the upgrade wirelessly

In addition I recommend creating a Windows 7 system image backup and a system image repair disc onto an external hard drive

I would also go to Lenovo's website support for your exact model

Let it find the information it needs to recognize your computer such as a serial number

Then see what drivers are provided

I want to believe Windows 7 Pro was the original OS but it should be verified. 

OK, understood. However if the wireless adapter would do the trick without moving everything around, even temporarily, it seems the most expedient way to go. Yes, I'd love to get in the weeds by doing what you've suggested, as a retired service and repair technician my natural curiosity is nevertheless still alive and well, but as an older and very tired retired service and repair tech maybe I don't have that much time left to test & experiment anymore.

It seems logical and likely that the adapter should work in place of whatever drivers may or may not be in play....because it would be supplying its own drivers for windows 10 (as the Amazon product review indicates). Nevertheless I feel almost obliged to first check out your suggested route. Thanks and I'll get back here to let you know what happens. OK?

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:20 PM

"It seems logical and likely that the adapter should work in place of whatever drivers may or may not be in play"

Sounds like a plan

#7 provobis

provobis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:21 PM

"It seems logical and likely that the adapter should work in place of whatever drivers may or may not be in play"

Sounds like a plan

Yes, and something I forgot to post before that's probably interesting, on the back of the laptop case is a M$oft label that says "Microsoft 7 pro for refurbs". So it would seem that whatever OEM OS this Thinkpad came with was replaced with windows 7 and resold as a refurb by Amazon. I have ordered the Amazon laptop network adapter and it's supposed to be delivered Saturday the 6th, so I will proceed with your recommendation (but without doing the win7 image) and post whatever results I get. Thanks again.

#8 provobis

provobis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:32 PM

Sounds like a plan

On the other hand I just got a reply from the Thinkpad forum....don't know if it's even relevant because the router coding referred to is enterprise and I know that's not what I used. Nevertheless maybe you can tell me how the reply could or could not be helpful? Here's the thread?  http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=120200

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:55 PM

Try this *Note you will need to be connected to the internet with your wired LAN connection in order for the Intel Utility to download and update the drivers. 

Step 1: Uninstall the Network Adapter Drivers

1. Press “Windows Logo” + “X” keys on the keyboard.
2. Click on “Device Manager” from that list.
3. Search for the Intel Centrino Advanced N6200AGN Network Adapter from the device list, right click on it and then select “Uninstall”. On the un-installation window, if you have an option: “Delete the driver software for this device” you may select that and then remove the corrupted drivers from the computer.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete it and the restart the computer if prompted

Step 2: Install Updated Drivers From Intel

2. Run the installer.
3. When the installer completes Select Launch. 
4. Let the updater update any devices it finds. 

Edited by Sneakycyber, 03 February 2016 - 07:55 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 12:34 AM

I’m under the impression you are back on Windows 7 Pro and it runs excellently

Please verify.

When you upgraded to Windows 10, was it Windows 10 Pro?

What procedure did you use to upgrade to Windows 10?

I saw that the response referred to Enterprise, but how does it refer to you?

Please describe how you are determining this “the router coding referred to is enterprise”

It could be that your computer was an Enterprise edition as it probably came from a company with an Enterprise Volume License (VLC) and it was refurbished as a Windows 7 Pro.

You might want to ask a moderator to have speccy run so it’ll be possible to determine what the computer consists of.

I'm not familiar with the Bluetooth issues; someone else will need to chime in on that.

#11 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 12:55 AM

I found this article and paraphrased what I could in case it could be helpful for you. Although it refers to Broadcom, substitute the same principle to Intel

Bluetooth/Wi-Fi-driver issues in Windows 10

http://windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/bluetoothwi-fi-driver-issues-in-windows-10/

Solving a virtual wireless-adapter error

Upgrade a five-year-old Dell PC to Windows 10: cancelled the upgrade process:

Broadcom virtual wireless adapter is not compatible.

The vagueness of the error message doesn’t help.

For most PCs, a “wireless adapter” could refer to either Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.

It might even refer to both:

On some systems, a single Broadcom chipset can provide combined Wi-Fi and Bluetooth services.

Software (a “virtual transport driver”) makes the chipset appear to the OS as separate devices.

This could explain why the error message referred to a software-based “virtual” adapter.

Although there might be no way to know exactly what the problem is, there’s almost surely a way to get the target system upgraded to Win10.

Start with the obvious: Visit the Dell site and download/install the latest Win10-specific Broadcom drivers for the PC model being upgraded.

If Broadcom drivers aren’t specifically listed, install the latest Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, USB, and chipset/mainboard/system drivers.

Next, make a full system backup.

When that’s done, run the Win10 upgrade.

Even if the Broadcom drivers aren’t ideal, the upgrade will likely run to completion — having communication drivers that aren’t fully Win10 compatible should not be a showstopper.

Once Win10 is running, you might find that both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth work acceptably, as they are.

Basic Wi-Fi and Bluetooth functions work fine after the upgrade but perhaps without whatever extras the vendor built in.

Bottom line: Try the upgrade and see whether Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are functional — despite any warnings.

If they fail, there are two more options you can try:

Option 1: It’s a long shot, but locate the Broadcom DLLs; they’re usually somewhere in the Windows folders (for example, C:\Windows\System32\drivers and C:\Windows\SysWOW64).

Right-click the DLLs and set them to operate in a compatibility mode for an earlier version of Windows.

Option 2: Try downloading the latest Broadcom Wi-Fi and Bluetooth drivers from any available source — including other vendors.

OEMs rarely make significant changes to Broadcom drivers, so it’s entirely possible that drivers from one vendor will work on systems from another.

You might, for example, try Lenovo’s latest Broadcom Bluetooth drivers, available on the vendor’s download site.

If the replacement OEM drivers don’t solve the problem (or it gets worse) uninstall them.

#12 provobis

provobis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:02 AM

I’m under the impression you are back on Windows 7 Pro and it runs excellently

Please verify.

When you upgraded to Windows 10, was it Windows 10 Pro?

What procedure did you use to upgrade to Windows 10?

I saw that the response referred to Enterprise, but how does it refer to you?

Please describe how you are determining this “the router coding referred to is enterprise”

It could be that your computer was an Enterprise edition as it probably came from a company with an Enterprise Volume License (VLC) and it was refurbished as a Windows 7 Pro.

You might want to ask a moderator to have speccy run so it’ll be possible to determine what the computer consists of.

I'm not familiar with the Bluetooth issues; someone else will need to chime in on that.

Yes, I am back on Windows 7 pro....and it does run excellently. Sorry if this is getting confused..... none of this forum discussion is on the thinkpad. I am using another of my computers, which I started initially (and still am), being unsure of the thinkpad connectivity reliability.

When I upgraded to Windows 10, both times, yes it was 10 pro both times.

Procedure? Just the recommended procedure by clicking on the upgrade icon in the tray, downloading of course and then installing. Everything goes without hesitation including the M$oft upgrade verify for qualification. At final installing prompts there is a advisory that Bluetooth has been disabled or uninstalled because it's not compatible with Windows 10.  Of course that's why I assume I can't connect after the upgrade...Bluetooth being the wireless agent 7 pro was using to connect(?).

As for the reference to "enterprise" ...that threw me as well but upon reflection I had assumed that it was a reference to how I had configured my Linksys router, or otherwise which version of 7 was installed. If the former (Linksys), I did not use any enterprise configuration and if the latter I also assumed negative because the M$oft label "Windows 7 pro for refurbs" seems to suggest fully approved for the upgrade (if the tray icon wasn't enough). And I see that you've put your finger right on that....it was in fact refurbished as a Windows 7 pro per the M$oft label on the back.

If I ask a moderator are you saying that could determine the problem if in fact the refurb with win 7 pro has any bearing for the issue? But if so, why would that d...m upgrade icon be there? Doesn't that indicate that it has to be a Bluetooth issue and that I would have to use another way (wireless adapter) with windows 10 to connect?

#13 provobis

provobis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:55 PM

Try this *Note you will need to be connected to the internet with your wired LAN connection in order for the Intel Utility to download and update the drivers. 

Step 1: Uninstall the Network Adapter Drivers

1. Press “Windows Logo” + “X” keys on the keyboard.
2. Click on “Device Manager” from that list.
3. Search for the Intel Centrino Advanced N6200AGN Network Adapter from the device list, right click on it and then select “Uninstall”. On the un-installation window, if you have an option: “Delete the driver software for this device” you may select that and then remove the corrupted drivers from the computer.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete it and the restart the computer if prompted

Step 2: Install Updated Drivers From Intel

2. Run the installer.
3. When the installer completes Select Launch. 
4. Let the updater update any devices it finds. 

Thanks Sneakycyber, I'm not sure what I'll do at this point, as it seems that whatever network adapter this Thinkpad uses to connect (I'm still not sure what's active in device manager, although I was advised Bluetooth was removed or uninstalled, so logically that's the only thing changed for the win 10 upgrade), and I don't want to crash the win 7 install since after all it's the only usable OS available to the Thinkpad. I don't have a clue (on this Thinkpad) about how to back up (clone) Win 7 so as to go back if anything went wrong. So at this point I suspect my best option is to install the network adapter which I ordered (see my previous url post) and should be here Saturday the 6th. I am guessing that adapter will install its own drivers thereby going around the issue rather than take chances in dealing with it. I admit I'm terribly curious about the issue and how to solve it, but I'm getting too old and tired for technical computer detective work....which for this matter seems to getting more complicated and difficult with every post.

However your suggestion fascinates me and I'm tempted to try it. Question: You seem to know that the "Centrino Advanced N6200AGN Network Adapter" is part of Bluetooth and/or could be responsible along with Bluetooth. Is that right? If so you are saying that updating the driver for Centrino (Bluetooth?) could solve the problem? So Bluetooth and Centrino are virtually the same with regard to how Windows 10 upgrade connects?

Edited by provobis, 04 February 2016 - 03:56 PM.

#14 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:46 PM

"If I ask a moderator are you saying that could determine the problem if in fact the refurb with win 7 pro has any bearing for the issue?"

I suppose I could have explained that better.

On the link I posted earlier, I doubt that it's the right one for your computer

My intent was to determine the exact link for your computer so could go there to see what they have for drivers to accommodate Windows 10

I've done that for some people with good results

I suspect the adapter you're waiting for will be helpful for you.

With that said, Sneakycyber's recommendation is very good

#15 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 07:42 PM

Hi provobis, did the wireless adapter you ordered from Amazon work?

--- I suspect it did but would like to know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users