Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I got an email from someone that might be a scam

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chesterli

chesterli

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:51 AM

I got an email from someone saying that my email has been selected as one of the 5 winners among

thousands of participants.

Alert Reference: GL5-9478329JAN2016

This email is to notify you of the results of the 2016 New Year Super Draw held in

Oldham, United Kingdom. Your email has been selected as one of the 5 winners among

thousands of participants. All participants were selected from the internet on a random

basis with the support of "random.org".

This program was held with the sponsorship and support of major email providers in over

32 countries worldwide.

Details:

Amount: 795,050.00 Pounds Sterling

Where to Claim:

Claim Center located at:

149 Market St, Adlington

Chorley

PR7 4HF

Monday-Friday 9am-5pm

Required documents to claim Over the Counter (OTC):

1. A print-out of this alert message

2. Government Issued ID such as a National ID, Drivers Licence or Passport

If you are unable to claim Over the Counter (OTC) at the address given above for any

valid reason (e.g. current location), please submit the details given below via e-mail

to: ntr1y9qfsr1notf@jetable.org (please copy and paste to avoid typing errors).

* Alternate Email:

* Names (as on Government Issued ID):

* Date of Birth:

* Address:

* Phone:

Congratulations on your lucky win!

Note: "ntr1y9qfsr1notf@jetable.org" is a temporary email address generated to avoid

abuse. After a given period of time, messages sent to this email address will not be

received.

This is a system - generated message.

Thank you.

Copyright 2016 L5-BBGC Global. All Rights Reserved.

Dear Chester Li, 

My name is David Stoyle and I am your appointed Claims Representative. Your message was received and I am very glad to assist you on claiming your prize successfully. 

Your claim has been reviewed and accepted. Please see the attached documents for further instructions and ensure that you read them carefully.

Please note that all documents are in PDF format and can be viewed using the free Adobe Reader software. Adobe® Acrobat® Reader is a free utility that can be downloaded from Adobe (

IMPORTANT

* Please contact the delivery company directly (using the details provided on the Claim Instructions and Confirmation of Receipt document) for further instructions. Avoid unnecessary delays as there is a deadline to claim your prize.

* Your last date to claim is given as February 15, 2016 (2 weeks claim period). After this date, your prize will be forfeited and will go to Good Causes or awarded to an alternate winner. Please ensure that you have received and deposited your prize cheque into your bank account before this date. 

* The Grand Prize Winner Awards Ceremony will be held at your preferred location in your home country or in the United Kingdom. Arrangements for the Awards Ceremony will begin immediately you have successfully claimed your prize. Further details will be provided when the arrangements begin.

Do not hesitate to contact me, if you have any queries or require any further assistance regarding your prize claim. 

Thank you.

Yours sincerely,

David Stoyle

Claims Representative

Lucky5 Prize Claim Centre
Email:   claim@lucky5.co.uk

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments, is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and destroy any copies of this information. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

http://lucky5ive.com/lucky5.html

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:10 PM

You broke the first rule for using email....DON'T open any email that you do not recognize the sender.

If you opened an attachment....one of the main ways malware uses....without knowing exactly who sent it and

exactly what the attachment contains before opening....you broke the second rule.

Spam mail most often contains a beacon that tells the sender you opened it which tells the sender to keep sending more spam.

Of course it is a scam...

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:00 PM

Here is some information and helpful links to learn about email scams and how to protect yourself.

Email & Attachments: Resources for How to Protect Yourself:

Email & Attachments: How to Protect Yourself Tips from Microsoft:

Reporting Fraud and Scams:

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Smsec

Smsec

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:20 PM

If you're interested in learning more about the types of online scams to look out for, there are lots of examples on Scamdex

http://www.scamdex.com/

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,937 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:52 PM

More here.

The Latest Scam & Fraud Alerts:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018