Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suddenly missing System Tray icons after EAM update

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 729 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:00 AM

Hi all!

I have MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, and WinPatrol PLUS as well as HMP.A. Today I was prompted to reboot my computer after core components of EAM had been updated.

Which I did, however upon reboot, several of the System Tray icons were suddenly missing :( . I of course immediately checked the relevant settings in Taskbar properties, but unfortunately all to no avail.

What also is suspicious, is that the System Tray icons in Taskbar settings are blank from EAM and onwards down the list...

Does anyone else experience the same issue, and/or know how to fix it?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 03 February 2016 - 06:45 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:08 AM

This issue has occurred previously and was reported again yesterday to Emsisoft Support....see Tray Icon Not Showing

Yes, our developers are debugging this and we will have a fix out as soon as we can.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 729 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:21 PM

Hi, quietman7!

Thank you for the prompt and insightful reply! :)

I see and have now read that topic. However, there is not just EAM's System Tray icon that is missing, but also several others, namely about half of my 12 System Tray icons, to include WinPatrol PLUS, SoundBlaster Control Panel, Canon IJ Network Scanner Selector EX, Microsoft OneDrive, PowerPanel Personal Edition User Interaction, and the ones showing are Volume/Speakers, Network, HitmanPro.Alert, Windows Explorer (Remove Hardware and Eject Mediums safely), Wireless LAN Control Manager and Notifications.

I observe in Task Manager that Emsisoft Protection Service and Emsisoft Real-Time Protection are actually running, so I guess my computer is protected... :)

Could this perhaps be an incompatibility between HMP.A and EAM, more specifically several anti-exploit mitigation tools running simultaneously (I did read in this BC Forum about Emsisoft possibly incorporating anti-exploit mitigation in EAM and EIS in the foreseeable future)?

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 03 February 2016 - 06:45 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:22 PM

I misunderstood and thought it was only the Emsisoft icon missing...that certainly is odd then.

In regards to using HMP.Alert, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit and Emsisoft Anti-Malware/Internet Security together.

Comments from Fabian Wosar, a Security Colleague and developer who works for Emsisoft.

EMET, HMP.Alert and MBAE can all be useful under certain circumstances. The most effective step to fending of exploits is to reduce your attack surface. Keep the software you use up-to-date and try to get rid of Java and Adobe plugins. If you can't get rid of them completely, at least turn them on only for the sites that you know won't work without them. All browsers that I have used in the past year have features which makes it very easy to limit plugins to just a few sites. If for some reason you can't do either of that, then adding exploit protection can be somewhat useful.

HMP.Alert & MBAE, Post #7

Comments from Elise, a Security Colleague and Emsisoft Employee.

Technically speaking, your computer is sufficiently protected by Emsisoft Anti-Malware/Internet Security. However, if you prefer an extra layer of security you could use this without any negative effects on your system.
The difference between the products is that they intercept potential malware attacks at different points. The result with or without HMP Alert is however the same, our behavior blocker will intercept threats resulting from exploits once they become active on the computer and eliminate them.

HitmanPro.Alert worth as a companion?, Post #3

#5 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 729 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:07 AM

Hi again, quietman7!

Thank you for the prompt and informing reply! :)

I have read about this issue in several topics at the Emsisoft Support Forum and at the Wilders Security Forum, and in one of these Fabian Wosar actually confirms my theory, here (Post #12); and subsequently I have now uninstalled HMP.A, downloaded and installed HMP.A version 3.1.7 build 357, and upon reboot, EAM was updated to version 11.0.0.6131 and the issue has been resolved! :thumbup2:

Actually, EAM is an anti-virus as well. The last version also added additional features for exploit mitigation. Bitdefender also includes exploit mitigation. Lines are really blurry and while we usually try to maintain compatibility, chances are if you combine a lot of tools, no effort on our end will help you keep your system stable. After all we have no influence on what other companies are doing.

Thank you very much for the help! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 03 February 2016 - 10:21 AM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:47 AM

I posted Fabian's comments from Post #12 in another topic yesterday along with prior comments showing the evolving history to add anti-exploit features.

EAM v11.0.0.6131 was released yesterday. Glad to hear that update resolved the issue.

#7 VitaSurfer

VitaSurfer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:15 AM

Hi all!

I have MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, and WinPatrol PLUS as well as HMP.A. Today I was prompted to reboot my computer after core components of EAM had been updated.

Which I did, however upon reboot, several of the System Tray icons were suddenly missing :( . I of course immediately checked the relevant settings in Taskbar properties, but unfortunately all to no avail.

What also is suspicious, is that the System Tray icons in Taskbar settings are blank from EAM and onwards down the list...

Does anyone else experience the same issue, and/or know how to fix it?

Regards,

midimusicman79

Hi! I'm having the same problem. Many of my icons suddenly disappeared from the taskbar (windows 10) and I can't get them back. Basically they are programs that run automatically and located in the Windows' Startup folder.

I'm not running any other antimalware software.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

#8 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 729 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:16 AM

Hi again, quietman7!

Thank you for the prompt and assuring reply! :)

Well, in that case, I do not want to have two anti-exploit mitigation tools running simultaneously.

And hence, my question is: Could you please provide a download link to EAM's User Manual, so that I can actually disable the anti-exploit mitigation in EAM in favor of HMP.A or explain to me how to do it? :busy:

Regards,

midimusicman79

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 02:01 PM

There currently is no feature with options to disable any anti-exploit mitigation.

Does version 11 gets some kind of anti exploit protection?

The answer to that is a bit complicated. Technically, yes...However, you will notice that we do not advertise it and there are also no options for it. It's not listed as a feature either, mostly because it is far from being finished yet. In general I believe holding off security improvements until an arbitrary release date just to somehow "beef up" the release announcement is kind of stupid and not really in the interest of our users. That is why we will roll them out gradually during the coming months and announce them officially once they are complete, the same way we rolled out the script protection in the last version 10 updates already but didn't officially announce them until the version 11 release.

Fabian Wosar, Post #30

BTW...here is the Emsisoft Anti-Malware User Guide.

#10 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 729 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:46 AM

Hi again, quietman7!

Thank you for the prompt and advising reply! :)

Understood. (Possibly expecting the anti-exploit mitigation in EAM to be a main feature,) I will be sure to disable it upon officially announced. :thumbup2:

Thank you very much for the link and the help! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 04 February 2016 - 09:01 AM.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:10 AM

You're welcome.