Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display Driver NVIDIA Win Kernel Mode Driver Stopped Responding But Recovered

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 techgnosis

techgnosis

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:55 AM

I had my motherboard replaced by a local technician about 2 weeks ago.  4 days ago, I got the following message:

========================

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 326.60 stopped responding and has successfully recovered

========================

Didn't happen again.  I have Dell XPS 8500.  The original specs say "NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 1GB GDDR 5 for Win 8."  I went to Device Manager to see if that's what's installed and indeed it is. 

Googled to see what this message could mean.  Says too many screens open or congestion.  Is this something I need to worry about?  I plan on having another computer fixed by this guy but before I commit, I wanna make sure there won't be any long-term problems with this.  Should I be concerned here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:12 AM

Try reinstalling display drivers. Are there any exclamation marks in device manager?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 techgnosis

techgnosis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:57 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by exclamation marks.  I didn't see them in any of the Device Manager menu for the Graphics Driver.  This happened twice on 1 day and maybe I had many screens open.  That was about 3 days ago and it hasn't happened since. Do you think I should still reinstall display drivers?

Try reinstalling display drivers. Are there any exclamation marks in device manager?

Edited by techgnosis, 02 February 2016 - 01:00 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:13 PM

Drivers of all sorts may become damaged/corrupted...for any number of reasons.

The simplest approach by me when such becomes noticeable...uninstall the applicable driver, then reboot and reinstall it (if it doesn't reinstall automatically).

Louis

#5 deprecated

deprecated

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:19 PM

Knowing all the issues that I have had with Graphic Card drivers leading to BSODs, I always keep back ups of known working and stable drivers that never gave me any issues, somewhere on a hard drive, so to save me the headache of finding one again. Also, do a clean uninstall if you are going to re-install the current driver to insure that you have the a fresh install.

Also, if you can't catch the BSOD hexadecimal error code, go through the Event Logs and Error Reporting, then Google will be your best friend.

Edited by deprecated, 05 February 2016 - 03:21 PM.

#6 pjstephe

pjstephe

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 03:23 PM

I have a Nvidia Gt420 card and was displaying the same Display driver failures intermittently until it started to crash.Tried the obvious fix and updated the driver to no avail plus a few others from suggestions.No joy.Finally I decided to reseat the card as well as cleaning up the dust accumulation including under the card fan.So whatever part of that process worked the system is stable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users