Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Problems with Computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 doobiedoob

doobiedoob

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:32 AM

Hi all,

I'm currently running Windows 10 (directly upgraded from 7) on a Lenovo G780. The update in general has been a bit of a nightmare and I've had a number of problems, but now I'm having problems that I'm not even sure are related to windows 10 and my computer is becoming borderline unusable, which is a concern as I use it for work. I've updated all the drivers, and in fact I've managed to temporarily fix some of these problems only for them to come back again. These are the main problems I've been having:

- Start menu is only intermittently working, once it stops I have to restart to get it working again.

- Disk usage in task manager is often at 99%, and when it isn't it's still usually about 50%. Computer often crashes as a result.

- Sound keeps stopping, but in very strange ways. For example I'll be listening to music on itunes or youtube, and the music will suddenly stop, and the timer on the song will stop moving (rather than just the sound muting), it's as if the computer stops attempting to create sound. Again, this is usually only fixed by restarting.

- Computer sometimes won't turn off, for example when I shut it down from the start menu it starts closing all my programmes and then just stops without turning off. If I turn it off manually by holding the button, it starts up again as soon as I let go of the button. V strange. I've had to take the battery out a couple of times.

I've tried lots of solutions from people on the internet, I've scanned with Avast, Hitmanpro, Rkill, MBAM, Spyware, CCleaner etc. I've rolled back to before updates, I've then re-done said updates. I've done driver scanning software etc. I'm miffed and stressed out, I'd really appreciate some help.

Edited by doobiedoob, 02 February 2016 - 06:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 calden

calden

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:50 AM

Lets start by seeing if you have a corrupt registry, right click on cone bottom left corner and choose Command Prompt (Admin) and copy paste the following.

sfc /scannow

Press enter and let run.

If it states you have corrupt files copy paste the following

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Again press enter and let run

Post your results in this forum

#3 doobiedoob

doobiedoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:39 PM

Hi, thanks for the reply. I did the scan and it didn't find anything

#4 calden

calden

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:16 PM

Open Settings, click on Update and Security, then Recovery, click on Reset this PC.

#5 doobiedoob

doobiedoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:43 PM

I did that before, it actually made a lot of the problems worse. For example I had somehow fixed the start menu issue, and doing a Reset made it come back.

#6 calden

calden

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:23 PM

Have you made a System Repair Disc?

If not open Settings and in Search at top type BACKUP.

Scroll down to Backup and Restore (W7)....Ignore W7....Its for W10

On left side click on Create a System Repair Disc.....and follow instructions.....This is a very small program not a complete installation.

#7 doobiedoob

doobiedoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:15 PM

I haven't got a CD so I'll have to buy one tomorrow to use and get back to you, unless there's another way? Can I use USB somehow?

#8 calden

calden

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:11 PM

Have you not made a backup?.this should be the first thing you should do.

Without a backup I can only suggest you try something in the following.

Open Settings, Update and Security, Recovery, Advanced Start-up, Troubleshoot Advanced Options, here there are several options.

Before doing that check your disk in case it is faulty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users