Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This computer will soon stop etc. Help Please

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 John in Oman

John in Oman

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 03:36 AM

This computer will soon stop updates because Windows Vista will no longer be supported.. Sounds pretty scary. What can i do please.?   Many thanks.JH

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:21 AM

You could upgrade to windows 7, and get security updates for your Windows 7 PC until Jan. 14, 2020.

Edited by CyberSec_ET, 02 February 2016 - 04:25 AM.

#3 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:10 AM

Thanks CB very much,

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:03 AM

If you intend on keeping Vista [like those intending on keeping XP]:

if you keep very current, on a daily and weekly basis, on firewall, anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-ransom, anti-spyware programs [whether they are Swiss Army Knives or OneAnti-OneProgram utilities], and exercise user security common sense -- you will probably be just fine.

Otherwise, as many others have posted in BC -- best to upgrade.

Edited by RolandJS, 02 February 2016 - 07:05 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:42 AM

This computer will soon stop updates because Windows Vista will no longer be supported.. Sounds pretty scary. What can i do please.?   Many thanks.JH

IMHO, the answers should be pretty obvious.  You have the following choices...

• Buy a new computer with a supported version of Windows.
  • Buy and install a supported version of Windows if your existing computer supports it.
  • Install a free Linux distro.

... and those are just a few options.  I am sure there are more.

Edited by Agouti, 02 February 2016 - 09:43 AM.

#6 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:22 PM

Thank you, but i am afraid nothing is obvious to me, not being computer savvy!

Where is the safest place to download Linux.please? I don't want my security put at risk and one place i looked at wanted me to download an app. which seemed to be able to do what it liked to my system!  Unfortunately my pension will not allow me the luxury of buying a new laptop so Linux seems the best way to go at present.

Edited by John in Oman, 02 February 2016 - 08:29 PM.

#7 siblis

siblis

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:56 PM

Security updates from Microsoft will not stop until April of 2017

#8 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:30 PM

Thanks for that Siblis.  Wonder why nobody told me that already lol!  In the meantime, is there any way i can stop that warning pop up appearing or do i just put up with it?  Thanks again

#9 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:49 AM

Where is the safest place to download Linux.please?

There is a Linux forum right here on Bleeping Computer.  Just scroll a little way down from this Vista forum and you would see it.  You could post there and ask around for recommendations on which Linux distro to put on your computer.

Thanks for that Siblis.  Wonder why nobody told me that already lol!  In the meantime, is there any way i can stop that warning pop up appearing or do i just put up with it?

How were we to know you didn't know support for Vista was ending in 2017?  We naturally assumed that you knew seeing that you created this thread.

Anyway, it's possible Microsoft is responsible for the pop-up you are seeing.  Could you post a screenshot of the pop-up?

#10 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 12:44 AM

Thanks for that info. I am sorry if i upset you, but how am i to know, if you didn't? I am a total layman re computers and nowhere does it indicate when this is supposed to happen. I am having a problem sending a screen shot so here is exactly what the pop up says. '' This computer will soon stop receiving Google Chrome updates because Windows XP and Windows Vista will no longer be supported" . 

Thanks again.

#11 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 01:29 AM

That is why its good to ask in forums like this.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#12 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:16 AM

I couldn't agree more Atomic!

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:58 AM

I am having a problem sending a screen shot so here is exactly what the pop up says. '' This computer will soon stop receiving Google Chrome updates because Windows XP and Windows Vista will no longer be supported" .

There is a big difference between Vista updates and Google Chrome updates.

Your first post did not indicate WHAT would no longer receive updates.

Beginning in April 2016 there will be no Chrome updates or security fixes on systems using XP and Vista. What I don't know is whether you will be able to install newer versions of Chrome if using XP and Vista.

You can, however, still use Chrome ifyou choose to do so. However, if there are no new security updates for XP and Vista your system will be at  higher risk of getting infected by cybersecurity threats and malware no matter what browser you use.

#14 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 09:21 AM

@John in Oman

As Queen-Evie explained, that message is about the Google Chrome browser which you must be using.  It has nothing to do with Windows Vista itself.

#15 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:44 AM

Thank you both very much.  

In that case what could you suggest i do to improve my present security please? I have Malwarebytes but expect i would need to upgrade it. I also have Windows Defender but no other protection. So far, i have rarely had a problem from the 'enemies' out there that could not be solved one way or another..

Regards JH

PS. I am now tucked away in the Philippines so there usually is a delay in my sending a reply!

Edited by John in Oman, 07 February 2016 - 01:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users