Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System crashed after updates

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 beachfeet

beachfeet

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 03:26 AM

Hello BC,
On my machine running Ubuntu 14.04, I recently ran sudo apt-get update, and sudo apt-get upgrade. After running the upgrades, I was instructed to complete a restart. Everything seemed normal, until the system restarted with an error.

Error: Failure reading sector 0x52cc4 from 'hd0.' Press any key to continue.

After pressing a key, the screen proceeded to flash a few times, before a page of text appeared (attachment)

I ran Boot repair, from an Ubuntu Live USB. While using Boot Repair, I selected the recommended repair option. After Boot repair finished, a message appeared stating that the Boot was successfully repaired, and that I could now reboot the system. After rebooting, I was automatically brought to Grub. However, If I select the Ubuntu option in Grub, I immediately see the page of text, that I originally saw (attachment). Before running Boot repair, I was unable to access the Grub menu. Could someone please offer some suggestions on why this happened, or how I could possibly fix it? Thank you, very much, for your time. I look forward to hearing from you.

Edit: I am unable to attach the photos that were taken of the screen. I am not sure how important the page is. Below, I have attempted to type out, some of the lines of text, with hopes of providing an example. Thank you, again.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

[    4.065908] Call Trace:

[    4.065954]  [<ffffffffff817afcd5>] dump_stack+0x45/0x57

[    4.0660021] [<fffffffff81d3e5f3>] panic+0xc1/0x1f5

mount_root +0x54/0x58

prepare_namespace+0x16d/0x1a6

kernel_init_freeable+0xc0/0xc0

? rest_init+0x80/0x80

ret_from_fork+0x58/0x90

?rest_init+0x80/0x80

Kernel offset: 0x0 from 0xfffffffff8100000000(relocation change:0xf

End kernel panic-not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0)

Edited by beachfeet, 02 February 2016 - 03:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 03:48 AM

Now that you are able to access the Grub menu, have you tried selecting "Advanced Options" and using Recovery Mode?

#3 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:10 AM

Good morning Al1000, and thank you, for the reply. Unfortunately, even when I click on advanced options, I am brought to a very similar screen, as the one that I attempted to give an example of. I have had a suspicion for awhile now, that my HDD, was having some issues. I even purchased an SSD, to upgrade the system. The SSD arrived late last week, and I haven't had the time to install it. I find it strange that the system had these problems, directly after I ran the upgrades, from the terminal. From what I have been able to research, people have solved this problem, by replacing the HDD. As stated, I do believe that my HDD was experiencing some issues, but I never suspected that they were this severe.  Do you believe that this happened due to faulty hardware? Even though this happened after running upgrades from the terminal?

Edited by beachfeet, 02 February 2016 - 04:21 AM.

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,595 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 05:37 AM

It's possible. If you were going to install Ubuntu on the SSD anyway, then I would do that. Install smartmon tools:
sudo apt-get install smartmontools
... then check the health of the HDD.

If you have any files on the HDD you don't want to lose, then I would boot up with a Live CD/DVD/USB and copy them onto an external drive before you do anything else, just in case the HDD is on its last legs.

Edited by Al1000, 02 February 2016 - 05:37 AM.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,745 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 03:21 PM

Just noticed this memeber had an issue with updating from the terminal also although a little different?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/604123/mint-update-hiccup/

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:09 PM

Just noticed this memeber had an issue with updating from the terminal also although a little different?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/604123/mint-update-hiccup/

Not sure if I should have replied here or the other topic as to not confuse things, but wanted to say I haven't had anything happen (yet) as described in this one.  Apologies if intruding.

Gen. Barker - You haven't heard the last of this!!

Hawkeye Pierce - I wasn't listening to the first of it...

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:22 PM

Not sure if I should have replied here or the other topic as to not confuse things, but wanted to say I haven't had anything happen (yet) as described in this one.  Apologies if intruding.

No problems.  We will continue helping you in your thread.

30b37fa.gif

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#8 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:54 PM

I am having trouble running sudo apt-get install smartmontools, from the Ubuntu Live USB. After I attempt to run the command, I get the error:

Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/s/smartmontools/smartmontools_6.2+svn3841-1.2_amd64.deb could not resolve 'archive.ubuntu.com'

I would really like to see if this is a hardware problem. Is it not strange, that this happened to the system, right after installing the updates via the terminal?

I plan on installing the same OS, on my SSD, and I would like to make sure that it wasn't the updates that corrupted the system.

Edited by beachfeet, 04 February 2016 - 07:03 PM.

#9 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,595 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:02 PM

I was talking about installing Ubuntu to the new SSD, then installing smartmon tools. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I'm not sure if you can install applications to a live session of Ubuntu without persistence as I've never tried, but if you can, you'll have to run:
sudo apt-get update
...first, then run the other command.

Edited by Al1000, 04 February 2016 - 07:03 PM.

#10 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:10 PM

Thank you, for clarifying. I see what you mean. Out of curiosity, is it possible to use Ubuntu Live, to salvage some of the TimeShift images, that I had saved on the internal HDD? The system crashed, before I could transfer the backup images, over to the external drive.

Edited by beachfeet, 04 February 2016 - 07:35 PM.

#11 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:13 PM

@beachfeet:

Thank you, for clarifying. I see what you mean. Out of curiosity, is it possible to use Ubuntu Live, to salvage some of the TimeShift images, that I had saved on the internal HDD? The system crashed, before I could transfer the backup images, over to the external drive.

It certainly should be.

Timeshift data resides in  a folder called timeshift amongst your higher level folders. If you use your file manager and choose File System or Computer (depending on Distro) it is likely placed between folders sys and tmp.

I would suggest going into Terminal to establish the size.

From the prompt, type and enter

cd /timeshift

Then type and enter

du -h

This will give you the entire contents of the folder in a human-readable (the h) format. There may be a considerable spooling of lines of entries, depending on how often you have used TS.

At the end, on the left will be a figure. See my example below from TimNet :

foPdbi3.png

You can see mine consumes 38 GB, yours may be considerably smaller.

You can then decide for yourself how best suits you to transfer and store that data, and whether eg you might use a large USB stick for temporary or permanent storage, or to recover/restore from.

If you take this approach and have issues with file/folder permissions, let us know and we can help. You can see from my partial output above that there was a non-fatal warning about permissions.

Hope this helps

:wizardball: Wizard

#12 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:16 PM

Thank you, Wizard. That is excellent news. I will attempt to recover those backups. Hopefully, I will have some time soon.

#13 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 02:29 AM

Just a note that I have posted a similar response at your other Topic. It may seem like repetition to you, but different users may stumble onto different Topics in search of an answer.

Cheers

:wizardball: Wizard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users