Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver notification question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 harkcomp

harkcomp

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:45 AM

I have a Toshiba Satellite L500 series laptop that I replaced the hard drive in. I used the recovery discs and returned the system to its out of box settings and installed a Webroot antivirus system and also installed Windows 10.

I had no problems with any of the project and the system seems to work beautifully except for one thing....

I have this permanent pop up box on my screen that reads as follows:

"SEARCHING FOR A DISPLAY DRIVER". "SCREEN RESOLUTION, PERFORMANCE, AND BATTERY LIFE MAY BE REDUCED UNTIL A COMPATIBLE DRIVER HAS FINISHED INSTALLING".

This box has been at the bottom center of my screen for three days and will not go away. I turn the system off in the evening thinking that this message box will be gone when I re-boot again in the morning, but to my surprise it is still there.

Can someone please tell me what this box means, and do I need to look for some kind of updated display driver, and if so, how do I go about doing that?

Thanks,

Harkcomp

​

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:40 AM

It means Microsoft has installed a generic driver that's not customized for your hardware.  The solution is to look in Device Manager and see exactly what display adapter you have, then go to the Toshiba web site and download the appropriate driver that supports Windows 10.  If there's not one, you'll have to either live with what you have or go back to whatever you had before upgrading.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users