Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BitDefender Threat Scanner

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nepetoo

Nepetoo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:45 PM

Suddenly the other day I started receiving an odd error message every few minutes or so saying "A problem has occured in BitDefender Threat Scanner. A file containing error information has been created at C:\Windows\Temp\BitDefender Threat Scanner.dmp. You are strongly encouraged to send the file to the developers of the application for further investigation of the error."

I've never downloaded anything BitDefender related. I've searched all over for answers/fixes and done them all, tried scanning with AVG twice, Malwarebytes twice, SuperSpyware twice, and C cleaner. I've even ran the official BitDefender uninstaller from the website.

Also, there is no BitDefender in the add or remove programs, and only the .dmp file shows up when I search my computer for "BitDefender".

As you can imagine, the unrelenting error message is incredibly annoying and elusive. I have absolutely no idea what to do, I've tried so much with no luck whatsoever.

Anyone have any similar experiences? Suggestions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Struppigel

Struppigel

Karsten Hahn, G DATA Malware Analyst

• Malware Response Team
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:12 AM

Hello Nepetoo.

I am Marie Curie and will gladly help you with any malware-related problems.

Please familiarize yourself with the following ground rules before you start.

• Read my instructions thoroughly, carry out each step in the given order.
  • Do not make any changes to your system, or run any tools other than those I provided. Do not delete, fix, uninstall, or install anything unless I tell you to.
  • If you are unsure about anything or if you encounter any problems, please stop and inform me about it.
  • Stick with me until I tell you that your computer is clean. Absence of symptoms does not mean that your computer is free of malware.
  • Back up important files before we start.

--------------------------------------------------------------

A lot of antivirus products use the Bitdefender engine. So it wouldn't be surprising if your AV is also using it.

Please run the following diagnostic scans so I can ascertain the state of your computer.

STEP 1

xlK5Hdb.png Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) Scan

• Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (x32)or Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (x64)and save the file to your Desktop.
  • Note: Download and run the version compatible with your system (32 or 64-bit). Download both if you're unsure; only one will run.
  • Double-Click FRST.exe or FRST64.exe to run the programme.
  • Click Yes to the disclaimer.
  • Ensure the Addition.txt box is checked.
  • Click the Scan button and let the programme run.
  • Upon completion, click OK, then OK on the Addition.txt pop up screen.
  • Two logs (FRST.txt & Addition.txt) will now be open on your Desktop. Attach both logs in your next reply.

STEP 2
aA7bkRO.png aswMBR
  • Please download aswMBRand save the file to your Desktop.
  • Temporarily disable your anti-virus software. For instructions, please refer to the following link.
  • Right-Click aswMBR.exe and select AVOiBNU.jpg Run as administrator to run the programme.
  • Click Yes when prompted to download avast! virus definitions. Wait until AVAST engine defs: ### appears.
  • If you are prompted to enable the use of "Virtualization Technology", click Yes.
  • Click the AV Scan: drop down box and click C:\.
  • Click Scan.
  • Upon completion, you will see Scan finished successfully. Click Save log. Save the log to your Desktop.
  • Re-enable your anti-virus software.
  • Attach the log in your next reply.

Note: Do NOT click Fix or FixMBR.
Note: A file (MBR.dat) will be created on your Desktop. Do NOT click or delete it.

======================================================

STEP 3
pfNZP4A.png Logs
In your next reply please include the following logs.
  • FRST.txt
  • Addition.txt
  • aswMBR log

#3 Nepetoo

Nepetoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:54 PM

Attached are the files requested.

Thank you.

Lynn

Attached File  Addition.txt   52.69KB   4 downloadsAttached File  aswMBR.txt   2.24KB   2 downloadsAttached File  FRST.txt   76.78KB   2 downloads

#4 Struppigel

Struppigel

• Malware Response Team
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:46 AM

Hello Nepeto.

You have Ad-Aware by Lavasoft installed, which uses the Bitdefender engine. ;)

goGMWSt.gifMultiple Anti-Virus Software Installed

------------------------------

It is inadvisable to have more than one Anti-Virus installed on your computer at the same time. Doing so may:

• Cause conflicts, negatively impacting the effectiveness of each Anti-Virus installed. 
  • Trigger false-positives.
  • Trigger false-negatives, where neither programme detects malware. 
  • Cause system instability/performance issues. Your system may lock up or slow down due to both software attempting to access the same file at the same time. 

Please remove all but one Anti-Virus from your computer.

• Press the Windows Key pdKOQKY.png + r on your keyboard at the same time.
  • Type appwiz.cpl and click OK.
  • Search for and uninstall all but one of the programmes listed below by right-clicking and clicking Uninstall (I personally recommend to keep either AVG or Microsoft Security Essentials).
    • Ad-Aware by Lavasoft
    • Microsoft Security Essentials
    • AVG
  • ​Follow the prompts, and reboot your computer once uninstalled.

I found a few potentially unwanted programs on your system. These programs are not malicious, but they might be on your computer without your consent. Some of them are known to deliver ads, bundle additional software, or have questionable privacy policies.
Please tell me for each of the following programs if you want to keep them:

• ExtractNow
  • Search Providers: Ask, Amazon, Bing, Yahoo

======================================================

Please answer the following questions in your next reply.

• Which antivirus programme did you keep?
  • Did you successfully uninstall the other antivirus programmes?
  • Tell me if you want to keep ExtractNow and the Search Providers.

Edited by Curie, 03 February 2016 - 03:48 AM.

#5 Struppigel

Struppigel

• Malware Response Team
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 05:32 AM

Hello Nepetoo,

I have not heard back from you in 6 days.

• Do you still require help?
  • If you require additional time to complete my instructions, please let me know.
  • If after 48 hours you have not replied to this thread it will have to be closed.

#6 Nepetoo

Nepetoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 02:11 AM

Sincere apologies for not responding sooner. I haven't had a chance to work on my computer. I'll work on it now and let you know first thing in the morning. 

I CAN tell you I will keep AVG, and I would like to keep extractnow and the only search I use consistently is google.

Thanks

Lynn

#7 Struppigel

Struppigel

• Malware Response Team
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2016 - 02:48 AM

Ok, Lynn. Let me know when you have deinstalled the other antivirus programmes and if it was successful.

#8 Struppigel

Struppigel

• Malware Response Team
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:29 AM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users