Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New router/modem no internet connection on Win 10

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gohan32

Gohan32

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:58 PM

So, I have a crummy Dell laptop running Windows 10 all fine one moment, and then when I got a new router/modem installed after upgrading my internet plan, my laptop would connect to my router, but not access the internet.

I used the same SSID and password when making the new network. All of my other wireless devices work fine. No, I have not hooked up the LAN cable yet.

I deleted the previous network profile, and recreated one for my current network. The problem changed from being connected and claiming to have internet access to being connected and recognizing it had no internet access.

I reset the TCP/IP settings as some forum suggested, "netsh int ip reset resettcpip.txt"  No change.

Any suggestions? Links?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:46 AM

Yes, there's a new setting in Windows 10 that can cause this.  It's burried deep in the Power applet of the Control Panel.  Here's the fix for that.  

Go to the Power Options applet of the Control Panel.  (left-click the Start button to get to the Control Panel).

Click Change Plan Settings.

Click Change Advanced Power Settings.

Click the + to the left of Wireless Adapter Settings.

Click the + to the left of Power Saving Mode.

Change the settings there to Maximum Performance.

NOW your WiFi should work just fine.  Wasn’t that a clever trick on the part of Microsoft?!  :flame:

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 Gohan32

Gohan32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:35 PM

Alas, it was already set to maximum performance.

I reset to default and changed it back to maximum performance just in case that would matter.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:31 PM

Have you tried:

- download a fresh copy of the latest, W10 compatible wireless drivers from the Dell website

- uninstall the current wireless software from Control Panel...Programs and Features

- check in Device Manager to be sure the wireless device is gone (under Network Adapters).  If not, right click on it and select "uninstall" (and check the box to remove the software/drivers).

- reboot

- install the freshly downloaded software for the wireless drivers

- set up the connection from scratch and see how that works.

If that doesn't work, then please post over in the Networking forums for some more expert assistance:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/21/networking/

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Gohan32

Gohan32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:44 AM

I solved the problem by changing my SSID.

Not sure why Windows 10 would freak out when a new network shows up with the same name and password from before, but it did. No other devices had a problem.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:38 PM

Thanks for letting us know.  It'll help others who come looking for help with a similar problem.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:51 PM

I solved the problem by changing my SSID.

Not sure why Windows 10 would freak out when a new network shows up with the same name and password from before, but it did. No other devices had a problem.

Because the password was saved before the upgrade and now the router recognize it  as different OS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users