Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer is hung during a Windows Update.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:35 PM

I have an older Acer Veriton computer in which I just replaced the HDD. It came with Windows 7 Pro 32-bit pre-installed. I made a complete set of Recovery disks, a Windows Repair disk and a Driver Backup disk when I got the computer, so after changing the HDD, it was a simple matter to reinstall the software and bring it back to its "out of the box" state.

I downloaded the Avast free anti-virus package and installed the wireless LAN device and then proceeded to open Windows Update and check for updates. (I have the option set to download updates, but let me choose to install them). After installing several groups of updates, I finally received the update to take the machine to the SP1 level, and it installed successfully. When I did another check for updates, I was informed that there were 227 Important Updates to install. So I told it to go ahead and install them.

Without realizing it, the computer was configured to blank the display after 10 minutes of inactivity, and to go into Sleep mode after 15 minutes of activity. Apparently, while the update was taking place, the computer went into sleep mode. When I saw this, I got it running again and noticed that update 106 was being installed. It sat there for quite a while and just when I thought that it was hung, it advanced to update 107. However, it has been setting at update 107 for about three hours, and while the machine is older and kind of slow, I'm pretty sure it's not THAT slow.

Finally, I decided to Shut Down, thinking that Windows would stop the update process in an orderly fashion. I now have the Shutdown screen with the message that Windows is installing Updates.....#107, in fact, and that's where it's setting with the little "double periods" moving back and forth. And I'm being instructed not to turn off the power.

I've never had an update operation hang up like this before, so I'm not sure how to proceed. Can someone offer some advice? I will leave the power on until another option is presented to me.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:23 AM

Well, since no one replied to this topic overnight, and since the computer was still stuck on the Shutdown screen, telling me that it was installing update 107, I just forced a power off. When I restarted, the computer it told me that it was configuring Windows, and it rebooted itself once during the process. Then Windows finished the start-up routine and seemed to work normally. When I opened Windows Update, it told me that there were 227 updates to install. It almost looks like Windows restarted from a Restore Point that was created yesterday before the "big update" started. I'm not very familiar with the internal workings of the OS, so this may be how it is supposed to operate in case an update fails. At any rate, this time instead of installing all 227 updates at once, I'll try to install 50 at a time and make sure that the computer can't go into Sleep mode while an update is running.

#3 alatta01

alatta01

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:35 AM

It is a good idea to go into Ctrl Panel/Power and make sure that sleep is set to never, at least during updates. I know you have a set of recovery disks, but won't your CPU support 64-bit, to get to 4GB RAM at least? It's a bit harder w/o the recovery set, but your system will be faster.

#4 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:00 PM

I thought of upgrading, but the computer isn't really used for anything except surfing and other low-performance tasks. I also have another high-speed desktop that I use for my primary machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users