Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows won't open docx files in Microsoft Word 2013 anymore

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:09 PM

I haven't had Microsoft Office 2013 a week now and I already am having problems with opening documents that are in Microsoft Word's native format (docx). The problem lies within Windows and not word it seems. While the icon for docx files show the Word 2013 icon, it refuses to open with Microsoft Word 2013. Windows tells me that it does not know how to open docx files. It worked flawlessly since its install last Wednesday downloaded right from Office.com with the user name that was provided to me by KVCC, the college I attend. Office 2013 licenses are provided to all students as of 2016. Not even a week later, it is messing up. Word can still open .doc & .odt files but not docx files. There are a number of results on the internet where a problem with Office 2013 not being able to open docx files, but none are the problem I face, windows not knowing how to open it.

Edited by hamluis, 02 February 2016 - 11:55 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Business Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:30 PM

Have you right clicked the file and selected open with?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 Smsec

Smsec

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:16 AM

It could be that the file association in windows  for .docx files is broken.  Are you having the same problem with Excel .xslx files? You could try to repair Office. Instructions from Microsoft on that:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Repair-an-Office-application-7821d4b6-7c1d-4205-aa0e-a6b40c5bb88b

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users