Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows PE. Trying to create BIOS and UEFI ISO in cmd.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 huntsin2

huntsin2

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:34 PM

Hi,

I am missing the "C:\winpe_x86\Efisys.bin" file needed in order to create a Windows PE ISO that can boot from BIOS or UEFI. I was able to create the ISO just for the BIOS version after failing to create it for both at the same time due to the lack of the aforementioned file. 

Any thoughts on where I get this file from and why it is not explained on Microsoft's site?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:58 PM

Hi,

To create a UEFI compatible boot disk I think you need to use a x64 WinPE not x86, the file should reside in \winpe_x64\efisys.bin

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:54 PM

Hi SleepyDude,

Thank you for the quick  response. I will try creating it in a for x64 and see what happens.

#4 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:05 PM

Ok, 

I was able to create a ISO file for either BIOS or UEFI using the amd64 files. 

However, I did all the steps for the ia64 and was only going to do it for UEFI since it only has the efisys.bin file and not the etfsboot.com file needed to do both. When I tried to run it below is what I got.

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\ia64>Oscdimg -bC:\winpe_ia64\Efisys.bin -pEF
-u2 -udfver102 C:\winpe_ia64\winpeuefi_ia64.iso
This version of C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\ia64\oscdimg.exe is not compa
tible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system i
nformation to see whether you need a x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the
 program, and then contact the software publisher.

What do you make of this message?

and 

Do you know which version of Windows each of the three WinPE architectures x86 for BIOS, amd64 for both BIOS and UEFI, and the last one ia64 which was unable to be created; would work for? ie. Windows 7, 8, 10? And do they only work with certain hardware such as amd (if that is what that stands for)?

And would the x86 theoretically work on a 64 bit machine as well?

Edited by huntsin2, 02 February 2016 - 06:11 PM.

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,960 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:26 PM

Ok, 

I was able to create a ISO file for either BIOS or UEFI using the amd64 files. 

However, I did all the steps for the ia64 and was only going to do it for UEFI since it only has the efisys.bin file and not the etfsboot.com file needed to do both. When I tried to run it below is what I got.

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\ia64>Oscdimg -bC:\winpe_ia64\Efisys.bin -pEF
-u2 -udfver102 C:\winpe_ia64\winpeuefi_ia64.iso
This version of C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\ia64\oscdimg.exe is not compa
tible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system i
nformation to see whether you need a x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the
 program, and then contact the software publisher.

What do you make of this message?

About IA64. There are specific versions of Windows to run on Itanium processors.

and 

Do you know which version of Windows each of the three WinPE architectures x86 for BIOS, amd64 for both BIOS and UEFI, and the last one ia64 which was unable to be created; would work for? ie. Windows 7, 8, 10? And do they only work with certain hardware such as amd (if that is what that stands for)?

Yes. Sometimes the problem is that the WinPE needs specific drivers for example to support some Hard Disk/RAID controller that is only available for x64. In that cases only a x64 WinPE will accept the driver.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#6 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:30 PM

Alright,

I found here

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/1443caaa-ae2b-42c6-add8-9a85bde5f8db/using-osdimg-to-create-an-iso-windows-pe?forum=itprovistadeployment

that the ia64 is only going to work on Itanium processors. 

Thanks for your response, I didn't know that you had already responded.

Edited by huntsin2, 02 February 2016 - 06:32 PM.

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,960 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:34 PM

No problem.

___
Rui

#8 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:36 PM

and 

Yes. Sometimes the problem is that the WinPE needs specific drivers for example to support some Hard Disk/RAID controller that is only available for x64. In that cases only a x64 WinPE will accept the driver.

So are you saying that in some cases a 64 bit machine needs the 64 bit PE? and

Do you know which OS the two ISO I have created will work on?

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,960 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:44 PM

So are you saying that in some cases a 64 bit machine needs the 64 bit PE? and

Yes.

Do you know which OS the two ISO I have created will work on?

What was the windows AIK you use?

It all depends on the tools included on the WinPE the tools included is what limits the PE to work on a particular OS. Besides this sometimes the tricky part is to successfully boot in some machines.

___
Rui

#10 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:24 PM

The Windows AIK I used is for Windows 7. 

I'm just curious if I had a Windows 10 machine that wouldn't boot if I could use the Windows PE disc to boot to Win 7?

#11 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,960 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:20 AM

The Windows AIK I used is for Windows 7.

Then it's WinPE 3.1. It should work with windows 7 and below but it will depend on the tasks you need to do.

I'm just curious if I had a Windows 10 machine that wouldn't boot if I could use the Windows PE disc to boot to Win 7?

If the machine have UEFI and Secure Boot enabled I think it will not boot from a Windows 7 PE only Windows 8 and higher.

___
Rui

#12 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:43 PM

Ok,

I don't believe there is a Windows AIK for Win 10.

Thank you for your replies and help I really appreciate it.

#13 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,960 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:59 PM

I don't believe there is a Windows AIK for Win 10.

Yes there is check here but can only be installed on Windows 10.

___
Rui

#14 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:30 PM

Thanks for the reply. I see that the Windows PE is under WDK. I'm really just trying to create these Windows PE boot discs so I can have a potential safe environment to transfer files. Do you think the Windows PE is an ok way to go? I have a Hiren's boot cd created and I will probably do a Universal Boot CD and System RescueCD as well.

#15 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,960 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 10:22 AM

Thanks for the reply. I see that the Windows PE is under WDK. I'm really just trying to create these Windows PE boot discs so I can have a potential safe environment to transfer files. Do you think the Windows PE is an ok way to go? I have a Hiren's boot cd created and I will probably do a Universal Boot CD and System RescueCD as well.

The default Windows PE disk created by the Microsoft tools will have some limited features for example there isn't a File Explorer to copy files easily, etc...

If you want to create a WinPE disk for multiple purposes my suggestion is to check this Win7PE SE or the other projects based on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 located on the same forum.

This could be intimidated at first, there are allots of scripts and features available ready to use and you can tweak your WinPE the way you need...

Another common solution to transfer files is to use one of those ready to use Linux Live CD/DVD's like Puppy Linux, Fatdog, etc.

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users