Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DDE Server Window: explorer.exe - Application Error

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Carryon

Carryon

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:31 PM

Greetings --

I’ve searched the forum and didn’t find this one. (From sysinfo):

OS Name                              Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, Version 10.0.10586 Build 10586  

System Model                       HP Compaq 6000 Pro MT PC, x64-based PC 

Processor                             Intel Core 2 Duo CPU  E7500@2.93GHz, 2933 Mhz, 2 Core(s),

2 Logical Processor(s)  

BIOS Version/Date                Hewlett-Packard 786G2 v01.09, 8/25/2009   

Installed Physical Memory    12.0 GB        

Total Physical Memory         11.9 GB        

Available Physical Memory  10.5 GB        

Total Virtual Memory            23.9 GB        

Available Virtual Memory     22.5 GB        

Page File Space                  12.0 GB        

Two user accounts:  1 with Administrator privileges, 1 with standard User privileges

Local policies applied to User account to lock it down (public use).

Admin account uses desktop interface, User account is in Tablet mode (no touch-screen).

Problem:

When signing out of the User account I get the following error:

DDE Server Window: explorer.exe – Application Error

The instruction at 0x00007FFA0CF3E12A referenced memory at 0x0000000000000000.

The memory could not be read. Click on OK to terminate the program.

Attached File  DDE-Server-Window.jpg   12.7KB   3 downloads

Clicking “OK” returns to the login screen for account selection and login. I haven’t noticed anything unusual with the installation/function other than this error. If it’s no more than an annoyance, so be it – Microsoft will have to fix it. If it indicates something more serious, I want to fix it if it can be fixed.

This error does not occur when signing out of the account with Administrative privileges.

This error is the same with my Acer PCs.

Any suggestions and tips will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:12 AM

Let's try looking at these reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Carryon

Carryon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:22 PM

Many thanks for your reply. Attached are the files you requested. Running HWMonitor as suggested.

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:24 AM

From the Admin logfile:

First:

To stop Media Center tasks from running (and then failing) delete this registry key (as with any deletion, backup the key first):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\Microsoft\Windows\Media Center

Once you've deleted the above registry key do the following:
- Go to the Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows folder and delete the Media Center folder (as with any deletion, backup the folder first).
- Then delete the Task Scheduler Library...Microsoft...Windows...Media Center task folder within the Task Scheduler (I don't think that you can back this up, but you can export the tasks individually).

Next:

Otherwise this tends to look similar to many other problems that we've seen with W10 being installed on well-used systems.

There's a couple of things to try:
1)  Run the following command in a Powershell window that's run as an Administrator in order to re-register the Windows Store apps:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
From this article:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/re-register-windows-store-apps
Be sure that Edge is closed (in Task Manager).  Cortana will spit an error as it's still running - don't worry about that for now.

2)  Uninstall your antivirus, then use the removal tool for it (there's a list of most of them here:  http://www.carrona.org/avuninst.html ), then install a freshly downloaded, W10 compatible version.  Some A/V have difficulties with the upgrade, so removing them and then reinstalling them will help how they run.

3)  Download fresh copies of the latest, W10 compatible audio and video drivers for your system.  Then uninstall the current versions from your system.  Then install the freshly downloaded versions.

4)  Get ALL available Windows Updates

5)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs from the manufacturer's website.  If some aren't compatible w/W10, check here about uninstalling them.

6)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs for any add-on hardware and any software that you installed previously.  If they aren't compatible, please uninstall them.

If this doesn't fix things, then post back so we can discuss the following options:
- continuing to attempt to fix this copy of the OS
- Reset of the OS (considering both the "Keep My Files" and the "Remove Everything" options)
- revert to the previous OS (both at less than 30 days, and at more than 30 days since initial update)
- revert to the previous OS with another attempt at installing W10 (I don't recommend this)
- clean install of the previous OS
- clean install of the previous OS, then update to W10 (only needed if a clean install of W10 fails)
- W10 clean install

Then, if the problem still occurs:

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after each one:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption.

Finally, if that doesn't work, then try these:

- Reset using the Keep My Files option

- Reset using the Remove Everything option (backup your stuff first, as this will wipe out everything!)

From the BSOD Inspector report:

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 786G2 v01.09) dates from 2009.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

Please be aware that a system this old may have compatibility issues with W10, and you may find (at some point) that it's more stable if you revert to the previously installed OS.

Only 3 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 10586 (TH2/1511) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.

These devices have problems in Device Manager:

PS/2 Compatible Mouse    ACPI\PNP0F13\4&60DD4BF&0    This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed.
Standard PS/2 Keyboard    ACPI\PNP0303\4&60DD4BF&0    This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed.

If you are using a USB keyboard and mouse - these errors are safe to ignore.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Carryon

Carryon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 05:59 PM

I followed all of your suggestions through the “dism” commands to the letter. The problem persisted. There were some interesting after effects which went away after a few restarts and power cycling. The last thing I tried was running sfc /scannow.

It might be a cumulative effect from running the other procedures first but running sfc.exe seemed to do the trick. It reported a number of corrupt files which it fixed. But, after a few restarts with no problem, it came back.

I reinstalled anti-virus software. It failed to update. It might be due to a different problem though.

Before embarking on any of this, I created an image of the existing installation which I will restore. I’ll run sfc.exe before doing anything else, see what it finds, and go from there.

Perhaps related, the following is something that happens no matter what computer I’ve upgraded from W7 Pro to W10 Pro – Acer, HP 6000, HP Pavilion laptop (which is brand new):

With my account configuration (Admin in desktop mode; User in tablet mode), going back and forth between accounts, User to Admin forces Admin into tablet mode. Looking at the setting (Action Center), the Tablet Mode button is grayed out but there it is - tablet mode. I have to click on Tablet Mode to “activate” it (even though it already is) turning the button blue, then click it again to “deactivate” it, turning the button back to gray which puts me back in desktop mode. Hmmmm – an apparent bug in W10 (No, it’s a “Feature”). This does not happen going the other way, Admin -> User.

Anyway, thanks very much for your help. I’ll trudge on. Since this problem does not appear to interfere with or otherwise affect any functionality, I will continue as is for now. When more time permits, I will revisit your recommendations contained in the “If this doesn’t fix things…” steps.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:45 AM

Sounds like a bug to me - but I'm not familiar with the tablet stuff.

At work tablet "fixes" are simply resetting the tablet (wiping everything out).

If the problem continues, we presume that it's hardware and send it off to the service center.

I'd suggest contacting HP tech support and see if they have any knowledge of this issue.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users