Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting up a VPN on BT home hub 5

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ayupmiduck

ayupmiduck

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:23 PM

Hi,

I have been looking into VPN services and would like to proceed with a paid service. We currently use a chromebook, 2 x android phones and an amazon fire tv in our house. This looks like it will make things difficult. The answer I would have thought is to set up the VPN settings at my router (BT home hub 5 A) but I can't for the life of me see any instructions on how to do this.

Any ideas?

Much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:38 AM

What reasons are you wanting to set up a VPN for?

From what I am gather from your post, you want to set up a VPN for use in your own home?

If I am right in that assumption, that is not the intent of a VPN. A VPN is for use while outside your typical environment, and you want to connect back to that environment. A lot of companies use VPNs for letting traveling employees securely connect back to their intranet.

*edit*

Or are you just wanting your typical day to day browsing on all your devices under the VPN layer for whatever website you browse to?

Edited by DeimosChaos, 02 February 2016 - 11:40 AM.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 ayupmiduck

ayupmiduck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:43 AM

Hi. You are correct. I want to use the vpn at home for the purpose of removing geo blocking and for privacy/ security

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:54 AM

Ah okay. Hmm, well I know there are VPN sites out there (paid for services sites) that allow you set up an account and then connect to them who then routes your info to wherever you are wanting to go, all under the VPN layer.

Here is a list of some VPN sites that you can take a look at. Unfortunately I can't look at them right now (at work) so I am not sure what would suite you best. Nor do I know if there is a way to hook your router up and use your VPN account automatically (there may not be). I will have to look into it a bit later. At least your current router, I'm pretty sure the open source DD-WRT router firmware allows you to connect to VPN services, but you need a router that either has it on there already, or one that supports it.

#5 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:53 PM

As DeimosChaos said you can connect to your VPN via the open source DD-WRT router firmware.

Some VPN providers also sell their own routers with everything pre-configured or will help you configuring your own.

May I also add some VPN providers that I use/used myself and found to be pretty good: CyberGhost, CactusVPN, IPVanish, HIDE.me, IBVPN and VyprVPN. Most of them have a free (limited) trail and an online chat...

I would ask them if they can help you with your specific router and setup before you buy!  :wink:

Greets!

#6 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,418 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:05 PM

As DeimosChaos said you can connect to your VPN via the open source DD-WRT router firmware.

Thanks for confirming that GNULINUX. I was pretty sure you could (from a quick google) but didn't have the time to really look into it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users