Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox browser

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 01 February 2016 - 02:02 PM

Firefox 40 something has been getting REAL slow in Windows 7 Pro. Decided to 'Refresh' it. Everything gone that I spend years organizing - even though it stated that only the add-ons would be removed. What happened to the menu bar? Now it's demanding a firefox account. Went through the options and recreated my home page - but it AGAIN replaces it with a tab demanding a Firefox account. This is getting way to invasive.

Now it's (not responding)

Edited by RbtCmpt, 01 February 2016 - 02:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 01 February 2016 - 02:15 PM

Hi:

A couple of things stand out from your post:

Please tell us: where did you download the Firefox installer file?
(The best (read: safest) source is the Mozilla site itself here: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/)

Additional support: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox

I hope this helps, for starters,

MM

Edited by MoxieMomma, 01 February 2016 - 02:16 PM.

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 01 February 2016 - 02:22 PM

I have Firefox with Windows 7 and 10 and can't remember the last time I had a problem with it.  I'm up to version 44 which I've now installed on 6 computers without problem.  What do you mean by " Everything gone that I spend years organizing"?  Firefox has nothing to do with your data, so if you've lost data, your problem is other than in Firefox.  If you're referring to bookmarks, Firefox maintains backups, mine's showing 9 of them at the moment.  You can get to them via Bookmarks -> Show all bookmarks -> Restore.

And if you have things on your computer that you don't want to lose, you should be making periodic backups to an external device, preferably an external hard drive.

Good luck. 

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:01 PM

Hey, thanks! This is FF 44. Yeah, there is an Old Firefox Data/jmguyvan.default folder on the desktop. Whoop dee doo. There's a bookmarkbackups folder in there which has 15 files. I had about 15 or so bookmarks, some of them were folders with many files. In the bookmarkbackups folder, I can only choose one file. It says it'll overwrite the current bookmarks. So how do I do this?

Edited by RbtCmpt, 01 February 2016 - 10:02 PM.

#5 bruinator

bruinator

• Members
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:11 PM

are you getting "not responding" issues on a lot of things like browsing, opening emails, looking at files...etc?

#6 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:35 PM

Hey, thanks! This is FF 44. Yeah, there is an Old Firefox Data/jmguyvan.default folder on the desktop. Whoop dee doo. There's a bookmarkbackups folder in there which has 15 files. I had about 15 or so bookmarks, some of them were folders with many files. In the bookmarkbackups folder, I can only choose one file. It says it'll overwrite the current bookmarks. So how do I do this?

This support article explains how to recover important data (in this case, to import the saved data from your old profile into your new profile):

Recovering important data from an old profile

If it doesn't work properly, then it's likely that your old/original profile was corrupt (and that may be one reason you experienced problems with it that prompted you to refresh Firefox, in the first place).

Hope this helps,

MM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users