Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Thought Dsl Was For Fiber Optic Lines Not Copper

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 11:14 AM

Well finally part of my road is covered for dsl but its slow according to neighbors and its on COPPER cables!
I thought I was told it was going to have to be fiber optic cables??
I had told some neighbors that we would be waiting forever because of the expense of fiber optics but now they slap down a bigger copper line and we have "slow(fast lol) dsl"

I told them they would have to lay down the fiber optics first and they were like we have it and they didnt lay down any special cables...so I said I dont know... :thumbsup:

Anyone know?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 29 July 2006 - 11:38 AM

Actually, DSL does/can run on same as the regular copper-coated steel lines.
http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:e3jKr...t=clnk&cd=4

Fiber optic lines are the upgrade for multi-communications systems that extend far beyond DSL line capabilities.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 11:56 AM

Well I guess we are getting the cheapo version of dsl...
We wont be getting it from what I hear its slow as dial up a bunch of the time...I can get satelite for 10 bucks more a month with more speed and no lag since I wont be sharing my bandwidth with 20 miles of people.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,531 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 12:55 PM

ADSL/DSLR has always been a copper twisted pair application. The only deployed fiber to the building in operation on any type of scale for residental use is Verizon's FIOS product. Whomever told you DSL in any form was fiber was incorrect. The ROI for fiber deployment in a rural area would make it cost prohibitive.

Be (Twisted Pair) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 05:58 PM

From what I have been told the way DSL works is off of the unused prongs in you phone jack. you only need 2 of the prong to opperate the phone (positive and Negative) and there are 4 or 6 wires in the phone jack (cant remember). anyway there is room for up to 3 phone lines running in that set of wires. DSL takes up 1 or 2 lines worth of that capabilty. More likley they are actually running another phone line to their houses in case the ever want to add more than 2 lines or add 1 line and DSL to their current service. Along with giving them a chance to bill you for almost doing nothing.

Posted Image

#6 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 12:34 AM

Actually all DSL works off of your phone jack, as BlackSpyder describes. However, you can get Verizon FIOS. Which is a FiberOptic system only available in select areas at the moment. It provides 15Megabit down and 2Megabit up for only $34.95 a month!

http://www22.verizon.com/content/ConsumerFiOS/

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:26 AM

Now thats DSL!
I hope my phone co. wont lock out other dsl things like verizon out of my area otherwise we cant pay 40 bucks a month for slow dsl...Bellsouth and verizon are so much better priced.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users