Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about backups

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bob1212

bob1212

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 01 February 2016 - 11:54 AM

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this

My roommate and I have been sharing a laptop for some time now. He had the admin account and I had a password protected user account. He recently got a new office job, so he kind of turned our computer into his "work computer". He told me that it goes through regular backups, without really knowing much about it. (He gives it to the IT guy to do it I suppose)

My question is

Is it possible any of my personal files are being backed up at his workplace? Would they be able to access them? What kind of backups would they have to do in order to see my files? I hate the thought that people can see them without my permission.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheJokerz

TheJokerz

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:05 PM

I would think that it would be quit easy for them to see your documents.  Especially if they have a linux box.

utl8q0-5.png

#3 bob1212

bob1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:16 PM

I would think that it would be quit easy for them to see your documents.  Especially if they have a linux box.

What about hidden files, index.dat files or temp internet files? Would they be able to backup that as well?

Edited by bob1212, 01 February 2016 - 01:50 PM.

#4 bob1212

bob1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 03:33 PM

Bump

So, could any of the above things from my user account be included in any kind of backup?

#5 PeterStevens

PeterStevens

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:44 AM

If it's a disk imaging backup solution, then yes.. it's taking everything on the HDD.

Do you know the name of the backup solution being used?

#6 bob1212

bob1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 04:00 PM

If it's a disk imaging backup solution, then yes.. it's taking everything on the HDD.

All I know is the program used was NTI Backup Now 4, unfortunately.

Kind of lame if you ever wanted to see someones personal files, all you have to do is a disk image backup it.

#7 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 02:02 PM

If the backup program runs with privilege of backup operator (they usually do), it can read all files, regardless of permissions.

Edited by Didier Stevens, 07 February 2016 - 02:02 PM.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#8 PeterStevens

PeterStevens

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 08 February 2016 - 05:12 AM

All I know is the program used was NTI Backup Now 4, unfortunately.

Kind of lame if you ever wanted to see someones personal files, all you have to do is a disk image backup it.

Well, then you'll probably want to buy your own cheap laptop, if there's anything private/personal on that machine that you don't want other people looking at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users