Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Working with TeslaCrypt issue

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 kasman123

kasman123

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:53 AM

Hi folks,

I'm never good at introducing myself on these things. I work in IT support (now being slanted into doing security) within the education sector. Currently working through an issue with TeslaCrypt and the most info I could find was on this site/forum. Most of my security experience is through fireall/ACL lists and Ive done some email filtering and web proxy work.

Hope I can contribute something on here as well as picking up tips/info as I go :)

Cheers

kasman

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:36 PM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

As a new member be sure to read the Welcome to Bleeping Computer! Guide and the following...

If learning about malware removal techniques is something you are interested in, please read BleepingComputer's Malware Removal Training Program.

Best regards.
The BC Staff 

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,907 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:55 PM

TeslaCrypt includes several known versions with various extensions for encrypted files such as .ecc, .ezz, .exx, .xyz, .zzz, .aaa, .abc, .ccc, .vvv as described here. TeslaCrypt 3.0 .xxx, .ttt, .micro variants are described in this news article.

Any files that are encrypted with TeslaCrypt 3.0 will have the .xxx, .ttt or .micro extension appended to the end of the filename. Any files that are encrypted with TeslaCrypt 2.0 (AlphaCrypt) will have the .ezz, .exx, .xyz, .zzz, .aaa, .abc, .ccc or .vvv extension appended to the end of the filename. Any files that are encrypted with the original TeslaCrypt will have the .ecc extension appended to the end of the filename.

The .xxx/.ttt/.micro variants leave .html, .txt files (ransom notes) with names like recovery_file_[random].txt, recover_file_[random].txt, Howto_Restore_FILES.TXT and help_recover_instructions+[random].txt. The .aaa/.abc/.ccc/.vvv variants leave ransom notes with names like Howto_Restore_FILES.txt, RECOVERY_FILE_[random].txt, restore_files_[random].txt, recover_file_[random].txt, Howto_RESTORE_FILES_[random].txt, howto_recover_file_[random].txt, _how_recover_[random].txt, how_recover+[random].txt. The .ezz/.exx variants leave ransom notes with names like HELP_TO_SAVE_FILES.txt and RECOVERY_FILES.txt. The .ecc variant leaves ransom notes with names like HELP_RESTORE_FILES.txt and HELP_RECOVER_FILES.txt.

A repository of all current knowledge regarding TeslaCrypt, Alpha Crypt and newer variants is provided by Grinler (aka Lawrence Abrams), in this topic: TeslaCrypt and Alpha Crypt Ransomware Information Guide and FAQ

Information for decrypting files with .ecc, .ezz, .exx, .xyz, .zzz, .aaa, .abc, .ccc, or .vvv extensions can be found in this BC News article: TeslaCrypt Decrypted: Flaw in TeslaCrypt allows recovery of encrypted files. Instructions on how to recover the key for decryption are also included in TeslaDecoder.zip.

There currently is no way of decrypting TeslaCrypt 3.0 .xxx, .ttt, or .micro variants since they use a different protection/key exchange algorithm, a different method of key storage and the key for them cannot be recovered. The .xxx, .ttt and .micro variants do not have a SharedSecret*PrivateKey so they are not supported by the current version of TeslaViewer. If infected with any of these extensions, backup all your encrypted files, send BloodDolly a private message with a link to few encrypted files after uploading them to SendSpace (see instructions in Post #1) and wait for solution.

There is an ongoing discussion in this topic where you can ask questions and seek further assistance.Support for decryption requests can be posted in this topic:Rather than have everyone start individual topics, it would be best (and more manageable for staff) if you posted any questions, comments or requests for assistance in one of those topic discussions, particularly the last if dealing with one of the newer variants. Doing that will also ensure you receive proper assistance from our crypto malware experts since they may not see this thread. To avoid unnecessary confusion...this topic is closed.

Thanks
The BC Staff
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users