Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade Win7 from 32 to 64 bit

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Galad

Galad

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:52 AM

Good Morning,

I built my desktop 4 years ago and installed the 32 bit version of Windows (System builder).  I'm thinking of upgrading to the 64 bit of 7 and understand it would be a clean install.  I'm seeing a whole host of price variations for the 64 Bit software.   Some of the cheapest software ($60 versus $120) is what they are calling "for refurbished PC installation". 

My question is, why so cheap?  I'm assuming it is because it will use my current license key from the 32 bit installation (treating it like an upgrade)?

Also, since I originally built it with the "32 bit System Builder", is there any restrictions on that original license key which won't allow for the 64 bit installation?

Just "kicking the tires" for some gotchas before I take any action....

Thanks for the help...

AMD X2 260 REGOR 3.2G
MSI 870-G45 MS 7599 V2.1
G.SKILL 4G Stick DDR3 1333 (2X)
HIS Radeon HD 4670 1GB DDR3 PCI E
Seagate 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB SATA 3.0Gb/s
LITE-ON 2MB Cache SATA
Rosewill RG430-S12 430W Single 12V Rail

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 alatta01

alatta01

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:16 AM

Galad - the COA (Certificate of Authenticity) will work for either 32 or 64-bit, same as Vista. XP had different COAs, specific to 64-bit.

All you need is a 64-bit ISO for whatever version you have: Home, Pro etc. If you can't find it for download, buy a Dell/HP/MS 64-bit SP1 DVD on Ebay. Your sticker will work fine, but may require a phone call for activation.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,384 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2016 - 11:39 AM

Well...it might help if we had links to vendors listing the various items you are looking at.  It's hard to comment on price variation and just what is being hawked...without seeing whatever it is that you are seeing.

IMO, worth a read:  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/windows-7-professional-64-bit-product-key-cannot/ab134133-80d8-4894-b480-e6e9c1eceef0?db=5 .

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 February 2016 - 12:10 PM.

#4 alatta01

alatta01

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2016 - 11:52 AM

Well...it might help if we had links to vendors listing the various items you are looking at.  It's hard to comment on price variation and just what is being hawked...without seeing whatever it is that you are seeing.

Louis

Sorry Louis - wrong topic

Edited by alatta01, 01 February 2016 - 11:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users