Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something bizarre is happening. 1.6TB of data is missing from my harddrive.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 blacktophat123

blacktophat123

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2016 - 05:10 AM

I'm freaking out right now. There was a folder titled Windows.000 that was created after my previous upgrade to windows 10. This folder had all of my data on it and now it has completely disappeared. It feels like somebody has physically come into my home and gutted my hard drive. Can somebody please tell me that this is something that can happen? My C:\ properties say 1.9GB Free out of 2... WTF?? How?? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blacktophat123

blacktophat123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2016 - 05:32 AM

please anybody :(

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:07 AM

First of all - welcome to BC !

It has been noted that you have an identical topic on 'Geeks to Go' to which a reply has been made, which includes a suggestion about data recovery. It is not a good idea to have two identical topics running on different forums at the same time because of possible confusion about who said what to whom !

I would have replied in similar terms to the reply on 'Geeks' except I saw the reply there first, and I believe that answer is correct. There is no suggestion at this stage that you have a virus problem and I am moving this topic to the Windows 10 section.

Finally, for the future you might remember that everybody on this forum is a volunteer and you have to give people a reasonable amount of time to reply before 'bumping' a topic. 48 hours is reasonable, 22 minutes is not.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:28 AM

Can you please confirm how did you upgrade to the the new version of Windows 10 as there is an option with clean install and format of the hard drive.

What type of files you are looking for? (pictures, documents or videos?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users