Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Turning laptop PC to desktop PC - NEED HELP

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NeonCandy

NeonCandy

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 01 February 2016 - 05:02 AM

Hi!
So iv been thinking of turning my laptop Lenovo Y510p into desktop PC because its overheating to much and i wanted to maximize the performance (overclocking, get an SSD and maybe a new network card). So il keep the rest of my hardware i just wanted to get a second opinion on what PC case should i use (I'm aiming for water cooling) and if i should add more RAM. 
Just so you get an idea what performance I'm aiming for i want to play Fallout 4 on High with at least steady 30fps. Now I'm only able to run around 20 fps with minimal settings.
Thanks for suggestions :P

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:42 AM

You really cannot upgrade components on a laptop motherboard, aside from RAM since everything is integrated with no expansion slots.  Motherboards for laptops are custom and are usually not designed to be placed inside a traditional ATX case. 

If you are wanting to game in a desktop form factor, you would be better served by building a desktop PC from the ground up.

3939.png

#3 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 01 February 2016 - 05:22 PM

To elaborate a bit: all laptop boards are designed to work exactly as the laptop ships - sometimes you can swap the HDD, RAM and optical drive, but that is it. Laptops do not follow a form factor like desktop boards do, so you can't stick it into a desktop case - it won't fit right. The only component that can be taken from your laptop and used for a desktop build is the HDD. (RAM is usually removable, but laptops use shorter sticks called SO-DIMMs which are shorter than the DIMMs desktops use.)

EDIT: if you are willing to do some work, you can also salvage the monitor panel from your laptop and use it as a PC screen - reply letting me know if you're interested and I will elaborate.

Edited by ScathEnfys, 01 February 2016 - 05:24 PM.

Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users