Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

buying a new cheap "gaming PC"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 satch4684

satch4684

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:58 AM

Haven't really had anything even remotely gaming or current in a long while, so I'm thinking its finally time to upgrade a little. Hey my sony vaio I use might have been a top of the line laptop....in 2008. So, needless to say even these will seem like supercomputers in comparison.

Anyway I've narrowed down these three:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883221132
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883230030
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883102102

With my gaming habits (old, indie, and/or almost always nothing graphically intense, though they're are a few I'd like to play) believe it or not I even get some fine use out of this old laptop. But of course for the most part its not good enough or doesn't run them as well as I'd like.

What do you guys think? They are all the same price, the ASUS appears most "bang for your buck" to me....I'm only familiar with Win7, so I don't know if there's a huge reason to be careful or not when choosing between 8.1 and 10

Edit: Moved topic from Computer Gaming to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raymac46

raymac46

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:55 PM

Well...for 3D gaming at any quality or full screen these machines are not going to cut it. Power supply is weak and graphics cards are rather low powered. For any serious gaming you'd want a 500 watt power supply and probably Nvidia GTX 960 or minimum AMD R7 360.

Having upgraded a number of machines from Windows 7 or 8,1 to Windows 10, I think it's best to get Windows 10 factory installed from the get-go (assuming you'll want to have it eventually.)

#3 satch4684

satch4684
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:37 AM

I see what your saying but I'm not in the market for a serious gaming machine, I've once spent the money to have one built and it wasn't worth it for me. Not that I have that luxury right now anyway. To be honest I usually buy a good tower at best buy and just throw $100-$120 card in there and its always been more than enough for me. Basically the "higher end of the low power" GPUs. For now its really mostly I need a big upgrade from using my old laptops and this will definitely do that. This is the price point I'm at. I can always upgrade the card and PSU later.

#4 raymac46

raymac46

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:29 PM

You can pick up an R7 360 for a bit over $100 but it needs a 500 W power supply with a PCI-e connector to supply the power. It's your call but I don't think the video cards listed in the machines above are much of an improvement over a good APU or Intel HD video, frankly. 

#5 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:32 PM

Building a PC will increase value fairly significantly. Would you be willing to build?
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#6 satch4684

satch4684
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:15 PM

Building a PC will increase value fairly significantly. Would you be willing to build?

One time I did this, some years back. While it wasn't that difficult, there were parts I had trouble with. I remember over the course of owning it there was one or two odd things it would do that always made me suspect I messed something up. Regardless the computer never broke or burnt out or anything like that.

Still, not crazy about the idea, and the option of doing so did come to mind, but I figured it's not worth looking into unless I wanted to spend a bit more. I'm noticing now the price is changing on some of these computers, they were all at $429 when I looked at them.

I guess it comes down to I'm under the impression these 3 are my options, at the price I'm willing to spend right now. I mean I'm sure there's $450 PC's plenty elsewhere but I just figured I'd narrow it down to these available on newegg, and I'm sure anything in that price range is roughly the same. Either way, its going to beat using old laptops.

Edited by satch4684, 04 February 2016 - 06:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users