Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My 10th anniversary as a Linux user part 1: Escape from windows XP

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:59 PM

Well this year is my 10th official year as a linux user, it is a time of reflection and a time of celebration so at the end of each month I will pick a subject and discuss it in at least two pages worth of material in LibreOffice.

This months subject: My journey from XP to linux

Windows XP, for many this was the first operating system they used but not for me.

My first OS was DOS all the way back in the late 90's, but I never owned a home computer until the year 2000.

This was a big year for the world, the start of a new millennium but for me it was the start of a new life.

My family moved out of my grandmothers house, we got our own home and also a cheap old computer with windows 95 on it…

Yeah that didnt last long, with support being pulled for it we got a proper desktop with windows XP in 2001.

XP was easy to use, for my family it gave away the fears we still had of computers.

For two years XP was our OS of choice, with our mighty E machine we braced into the age of the internet and we liked it…

Until we got windows XP service pack 1.

SP1 was a total disaster for us, it barely worked and we had to get a computer repair person to help us.

At the same time I was learning how to use a computer, how it worked and functioned.

It wasnt that hard I learned, aqnd at the time I started hearing about linux.

The fist distro I tried, the long dead Yoper Linux however was a disaster, I nuked my PC by mistake and I had to reinstall XP.

Next try however was a little better, in 2003 I tried openSUSE 9.1 and while it didnt exactly work the way I wanted it to it did teach me some of the ropes.

In 2004 I stumbled on another distro, this time Mepis linux and my gosh I loved it

Mepis.png

A image of Mepis when I first used it,,, not my screenshot though

Not only was it easy to use and install but it worked with my hardware and was a very nice distro to use.

In 2005 however I decided to get my own computer, I got a HP computer and it came pre loaded with XP

In this time however adobe dropped flash support for linux the first time, so I mainly still used XP.

In 2006 however I finally decided to dump XP as my experience with windows XP SP2 was just as bad as SP1.

This time however I jumped onto the Ubuntu train, and I have to say it was certainly not a mistake.

Ubuntu for me was a godsend, I know Ubuntu for many is a crap distro but we all have our roots and my roots in linux are inside debian and Ubuntu.

So my escape from XP was complete, my first year as a linux user was underway and 10 years on I look on those days fondly.

So here is a brief text review of Ubuntu 6.06, I did give video review of it not so long ago but hey this is my anniversary and I will do what the heck I like.

So here is my experience with Ubuntu 6.06:

Ubuntu 6.06 was the first ubuntu I used full time, and my first obstacle was getting used to its two panel layout. For me my first linux UI was KDE and while it did have differences to windows XP it was comfortable enough as a XP user to get used to.

Gnome? Not so much.

Its not like Gnome was hard to use at the time, it was just a matter of user convection that threw me off.

It wasnt that bad, sure as heck was not as bad as that rotten piece of crap called gnome shell but as a XP user I was just so used to my menu being in the bottom left corner.

I honestly wish I had pictures of my desktop still from this period but safe to say I made gnome look like XP all without the help of transformation packs.

Within a few months however I did revert Ubuntu to its defaults so there is that.

Ubuntu however was still quite easy to use, there was no linux mint at this time but Ubuntu was still easy for the most part.

Codec installation however was… messy.

There was no real third party software for it and you had to manually install packages .

This was a rather tedious process and could take a half hour to set up depending on connection speed.

Otherwise Ubuntu 6.06 was smooth as ice, it was ugly but did the job well.

I used 6.06 until Ubuntu 6.10 came out, 6.10 was actually a lot better for me so I stuck with it until 7.04 but I am not here for my Ubuntu progression now am I?

But I did go back to 6.06 when Ubuntu 7.04 came out as it had serious issues with it.

I used 6.06 again until 7.10 and 7.10 was actually quite good.

Ubuntu 6.06 however was a great start for me using Linux as my primary OS, it would begin my off again on again relationship with Ubuntu but began my more permanent relationship with Linux.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,822 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 01 February 2016 - 02:42 PM

Thanks for that story. Looking forward to the monthly updates.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 russ0408

russ0408

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 01:27 AM

Thank you for your inspirational story. I just left windows 10, and installed Linux Mint. It goes to show there is life after Windows. I will be looking forward to your monthly testimonials. 

#4 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 04:38 PM

Marvellous idea Madman :thumbup2:

And a happy  :step10: th  Anniversary :smilers:

:wizardball: Wizard

#5 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 09:27 PM

Thank you for your inspirational story. I just left windows 10, and installed Linux Mint. It goes to show there is life after Windows. I will be looking forward to your monthly testimonials. 

Not only is there life after Windows - it is a life of Freedom as compared to servitude !

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:29 PM

OMG so many many many shortcuts on the desktop.

#7 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:26 PM

Now, lol, that WAS in 2004. I have a brother-in-law (still) running XP and you can't insert a paperclip between the icons.

:wizardball:

BTW - Mepis is good though - I am running MX-15 and it is sweeet

Edited - added BTW

Edited by wizardfromoz, 05 February 2016 - 11:28 PM.

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:45 AM

MadmanRB, great for you to share your success story! :thumbup2:

10 years of running Linux is most certainly a major milestone & am close to 3 years behind you, before running Linux MInt for 6.5 years (closer to 6.75 now), Ubuntu was the first Linux distro I tried, via the WUBI option. Not something I'd recommend today, yet at the time, I never seen bootable USB drives mentioned as an alternative, so was curious about Ubuntu & took the WUBI plunge. 

Unfortunately, though I wouldn't take anything from the experience today, the instructions were lacking vital information, in particular, make sure the HDD is defragged first. End result for me was a 'C' drive that was 55% fragmented & ran it that way for about two weeks. Next mistake was a lot more fatal, installing & running 'Computer Janitor', left me with a bootable Ubuntu running as an inside of XP, but destroyed the XP bootloader. While today I'd know how to fix that with a bootable partition CD, or XP install media, that was then & this is now, I was out of luck, we live & learn. 

Fortunately, not long afterwards, came Linux Mint & finally some much needed stability was in the picture, and at times was finding myself booting more into Linux Mint than XP, then Windows 7 came & kind of backslid a bit, yet always kept my Linux Mint install, at one time, the only OS on one of my notebooks, and once again found myself running Mint as much as 7, until I arrived here, and from there, my Linux usage shot up really high. :thumbup2:

Today, it's over 90% Linux Mint & less than 10% Windows 7 or 8.1, though hard to pin a precise number, can certainly say more than 90% for Mint. While I've tried other Linux distros & may again at some point, there's been no OS that I've hung with as long as Mint, as I was running it before Windows 7 shipped, and am sure not running XP anymore. 

Happy 10th Anniversary as a Linux user!  :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,822 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 07 February 2016 - 09:25 AM

It's nice to hear all of these personal success stories. Thanks for the inspiration guys.

Rocky Bennett

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:24 PM

OMG so many many many shortcuts on the desktop.

I used to put tons of shortcuts on my Windows desktop's but that changed with Ubuntu.

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 06:04 AM

Fortunately, we don't have to bother with tons of shortcuts any longer, these are on the panel & in the Start Menu. :thumbup2:

Still, back then at least the shortcuts were secure on Linux distros. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users